YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Ok, in a few weeks time I am arranging a trip for myself and a couple of friends. We basically have the choice of

Stoney, Vobster or the national dive centre

Its gonna be a saturday, which do we recommend, if any...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Phone in sick on Friday and go diving instead - inland sites are murder at the weekend

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

If you're going on a weekend then I would choose Vobster because its easier to book your parking spot in advance. The vis is not as good as Stoney. If you're going for training then that probably doesn't matter.

Stoney is probably better for stuff to see ie Staingarth, helicopter etc. if thats the kind of dive you want but the parking is a right pain and you'll probably have to walk from the top car park.

The NDC I know little about except that its not great for beginners as there are only platforms to dive on and less to see. It is very deep.

So for me Vobster 1. Stoney 2. NDC. 3

Andy

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

whats in vobster? only went there right after it opened in Jan and managed to see sweet FA, believe my log says something like "saw underwater woodlouse and one buddy hitting the other over the head with a piece of scaffolding pole".

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

You have listed my three least loved dives.

Where do you live and what is the purpose of the trip. If depth is an issue that rules out some of the alternitives but if its not then Horsea or Guildensludge would be my choice.

That said Stony is the best of a bad bunch.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Stoney would be my choice, I dived Vobster in april we were the only 2 in and the viz was less than 1m and the NDC unless you need depth in excess of 35m I found boring unless you like rubber pipes

HTH

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>get down to dosthill (near tamworth), far more scenic than crudy cove and arguably a better day out. gets a little busy at the weekend and you will only find just over 24m with yer arm in the silt.
theres a few attraction's in there,.. the usual rusty motor's and caravans a couple of boats and a three sided building to mooch round and the fish are in abundance,....orfe, big carp, perch, loads of roach and big pike and if yer lucky a huge!!...and i do mean HUGE!! eel.

forget everything said about it....wooden weightbelt awards and stinky portaloo's (not true in my experience), its a good crack and well worth a visit or three if you have never been.

it has to be said that the facilities are minimal!...but you can get a fill and a brew and the rudementry bacon cob or six

and as long as you hold your breath or wear a FFM you can have a pony and trap as well.

all the inwater attraction's are buoyed and the shop sells most bit's but you can't get gas fills

give it a go!

regards

mark

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Nitrox - is there a web site for dosthill?? Sounds like a bit of fun when winter comes

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>kirky,

not that i'm aware of. the site is owned and run by lakeside diving centre based in kingsnorton, by the same bloke that owns guildenburgh.

the vizz in winter is usually fantastic unless its been raining.

you can contact either paul, john or claire on 01827 281 304.

the weeknight/day opening times vary during the year so you would be advised to check on these.

personally, the only thing that draws me from dozzy to stoney is the extra depth, or it would be dosthill every time.

HTH

mark

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Thanx for the info Mark

Safe diving

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Blimey,

Makes me glad i have managed to keep all of the above out of my log book.

DIR - Get in the sea  

Dive Safe and Enjoy

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Ditto Paul,,,,

By the way , where is our nearest muddy puddle pit ?

Andy

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

Larkfield, and unfortunatly i know it well

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Ahhh larkfield/leybourne lakes, whats up with you Paul its a great place to dive...then Dan remembers that winter is coming and the odds are he will at some point have to enter said place for a dive or 2...oh boll**ks  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Sep. 17 2003,22:16)]oh
horsea island is/was pretty crap and shallow and to regimental when i went there,
maybee i am just expecting to much
wack
OK its 6m deep but its sea water and thats a major plus for some equipment checks. I found the jelly fish mussels and colourfull algi a plesent change from the mud in most inland sites. The helecopter is almost exactly the same as the one in stony and it is totaly encrusted in mussels.

The main thing I liked about Horsea (apart from the salt) is it wasent Stoney Cove  

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Stoney - too busy, parkings a nightmare, expensive.
Dosthill - not so busy, not so much in there, they are a bit trigger happy with the recall system, they've chucked those damn grenade things in while i've been in and then buzzed around my head in the rib, they expecting me to miss my stop just because someone else has come up without a buddy?
Capernwray - bit like stoney but with better facilites - you can go into the coffee shop wet which is a major plus point if you are in a wetsuit and good for us dry divers too.
Best option in my opinion: the sea

1 - 20 of 26 Posts