YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the INON Level 1 Underwater Photography course?

I've recently bought a Canon S100 with Canon housing to replace my flooded Olympus (it was ancient anyway). I've got a trip coming up at Easter, and while I usually get some pictures that I'm happy with, they're tending to be all quite the same now. I've seen that the guys that run the INON course (Ocean Optics) have had some very positive recommendations on here, but the course seems quite expensive and it says it's for beginners. I've done quite a bit of photography with my Olympus, so I'm not a total beginner; but I've never done a course and have never used any accessories, so could probably do with going back to basics.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Not done it myself but know a few that have in Dahab. You could PM Steve Warren on here - he'd certainly be able to tell you about it :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I did the course a couple of weeks ago, as far as I'm concerned it was money well spent. In fact, as it was 09:00 to 23:00, with only a couple of 5 minute breaks, it was more like 2 days training for the price of one.

I've been using a digital compact under water for several years now, but haven't had much experience with a strobe, and never used wet lenses, so wanted to get a basic handle on them. This seemed like the ideal course.

It's hard to give a proper summary of the course as there was so much subject matter, but looking at my notes it covers things like properties of light, light and water, camera basics, controlling exposure, colour temperature, white balance, filters, restoring colour, using flash, and lenses. That's just a bit of the theory, there are also a couple of pools sessions, followed by critique. I'd honestly say, there wasn't one moment when I wasn't learning something, or having my memory refreshed on things I'd forgotten.

By then end of the day, all four of us were quite happily using the cameras and strobes in full manual mode, which was a good leap forward for me. One of the others had never been outside fully auto, and never used a strobe, so had made great advances.

One drawback I suppose, there's another range of shiney things to tempt me now :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
String - thanks, I'm going to give him a call tomorrow, but I wondered if there were any "user" opinions: their website says they cover all sorts of things which seems a lot for one day.

Bobdob - brilliant, thank you. That sounds fairly similar to myself. I found the course when I was looking at INON strobes online - that's probably my next purchase (but not until after my trip!). It sounds very intense (0900 - 2300!!! Seriously?) I guess that makes it actually pretty good value for money.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now I'm embarrassed as one of the INON instructors at Optics!

Thanks Bob for the kind words. Normally we've finished by 2200.....I think it was the 27 different one last questions that did it....Mark and I had a lot of fun on the course and lots of one last questions does means someone's keen. All good.

The INON Uk courses that are run by James Seymour and Richard Keaney in Dahab are through Black Rock Dive Centre, who will be at LIDS. They run theres a little differently because their location gives them more scheduling flexibility. Pissouri Bay Divers in Cyprus also offer INON UK courses, as does Chris Sterritt who contributes to YDF and, in Manchester, Nick at Frogfish. So it's not just us!

There are also other courses out there from Maria at Ocean Visions, Martin Edge, Stuart at Bottlefish and Alex at UW Visions. So there's a fair amount of choice.

Hope it's okay to reply given my vested interest.

Best

Steve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve - The website says you still have places on a course at the end of the month, is that still the case? Can I give you a call at about lunchtime tomorrow (does it go through to you if I call the number on the website?)? Thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Bribo
We added a course at short notice and I think we have two places left. You can get Mark or myself on 01268 523786 tomorrow.

We'll exchange questions then - I'm sure you have some and we have a few for you!

Best wishes

Steve.

·
life is for diving.. anything else is speculation
260 Posts
Bribo,

I'd be interested to hear some feedback on the course once you've been;) Been considering it myself for later in the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts