YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just finished my MOD1 today :D and got a shinny nearly new ex-demo Inspiration which I used for the dives on the course.

Out of the six dives at Stoney the tempstik only worked once. The connector shows no sign of corrosion and I even got the instructor to fit it on the last dive to give a newbie a sanity check, but it still didn't work! The instructor said that the tempstik may have to go back to AP, but try some contact cleaner first.

This afternoon after my final dive - I was shown how the software (APD Communicator) works on my laptop with the intention of changing the ownership information on the unit and showing me how to view the dive logs (APD Log viewer). The com port was selected and the unit was identified by the software. It allowed me to sync the unit time with the Laptop clock, but failed to download any data (connection failure at 1%) - Several attempts were made to no avail. :cry:

I'm hardly a RB expert (the day of course completion) - but I do know computers, and I am kind of thinking that the tempstik may not be at fault after all - and the culprit may be the controller/databus itself (causing issues with both tempstik and pc connections).

Has anyone seem this issue/behavior before??? Any thoughts???

heland

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
The problem with having a CCR with electronics that do most of the work is when it goes wrong the only option is send it back to get it fixed.

The Vision falls squarly into this catagory of CCR

Your only option is send it back to AP.

ATB

Mark

·
ccr_ada top DAC guru 001#Blackberry pin 283E29BB
2,217 Posts
The problem with having a CCR with electronics that do most of the work is when it goes wrong the only option is send it back to get it fixed.

The Vision falls squarly into this catagory of CCR

Your only option is send it back to AP.

ATB

Mark
only option?

what about connecting the vision to a laptop that is working with someone else's vision 1st?

or

popping the temp can into someone else's vision and a few breaths and one black mark should show!!

or

give AP a bell see if they can connect over the net by connecting the head to your laptop and let them try remotely connecting to the head by your laptop over the net
its worth giving them a bell anyway as i don't think you can change the name and phone number yourself anyway....and let them talk you threw the diagnostics !!!

only..... tusk tusk tut...

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Fair points,

I didnt know they could do remote diagnostics.

ATB

Mark

·
Registered
197 Posts
I assume you have purchased the unit through the instructor who gave you your MOD1 training? If so return the unit to them and ask them to correct the fault and change the ownership information. If purchased from a private individual contact AP they are the experts and I have always found them to be very helpfull. I have in the past sent them dive data over the internet that has helped solve a problem. I do know that the tempstick connector has a history of connection problems. My own decame unreliable at one time, I cured this by spraying both plug and socket with electrolube, an electronic degreaser. The only other advice I can offer is to ensure the connections are pushed fully home, the rubber sheathing can hinder this process.

·
Founder of the S.F.T.D
523 Posts
Back to the chap you bought it from or back to AP, I don't think AP can connect to a unit remotely.

·
Founder of the S.F.T.D
523 Posts
I have the temp stick in my unit and had the odd wee problem but mostly just the connection not being push home right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts