·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i would like to start the inspiration thread again

i hope we can keep on track

wolf m8
you indcated that you should only use the inspiration if you realy need to, ie if open will do thn use open, can you please explane further

rob
you had much t offer, please summise why you dive the inspiration and how you have justified th risks

anybody else who can contribute please feel free to

i would also like to xpand the arguments re oc/ scr/ ccr, but only in a safty/risk asesment view

all coments welcome

steve-k

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

After diving with an Inspiration diver this weekend I can honestly say that I have no problems with them. The benefits they give you massively outweight the downsides, plus if you follow the manual and do everything it suggests (like changing the coffee can contents every 3 hours, replacing the sensors regularly and so on) then it can only be a safe thing?

Same benefits of diving on Nitrox on air tables.

The only downside I can see is the circa £4k price tag and that people have to keep on top of the filters / sensors etc..

Also, there is no bail out so if you're at 60m and it fails, well, you're slightly snookered.

I personally wouldn't, but I can see why people would.

Bottom line is it's personal choice guys - each to their own!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bantam @ Sep. 23 2003,14:29)]Also, there is no bail out so if you're at 60m and it fails, well, you're slightly snookered.
I know that bit is incorrect.

There is the option to breath in OC mode off the on board cylinders - admittedly a 3 ltr cylinder at 60 mtrs prob won't get you to the surface safely. Also, I believe (as a VERY interested non owner) that there are other options which I will not make myself look stupid by guessing at (OK, OK, more stupid than necessary). Alright, one guess - manually flushing the RB system with whatever is the appropriate gas - diluent/O2/something with a bit of helium in it.

Robin - HELP.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

There's always the option of a BOB - bail out 'breather - that way if RB one dies, switch to RB2. The KISS manufacturer has a nifty little side-slung number for this very purpose...

Alternatively, a RB that can have cylinder sizes other than 3L could be used..

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

There is indeed bailout, in the little 3 ltr bottle.

But by the time you've finished using it for your BC (of course there are those who use drysuit for buoyancy) , flushing the loop perhaps and then replacing any gas in the loop used for mask clearing etc, there's not a lot left at 60 mtrs. Oh and then you have to breathe it from the air2 thing which then makes ascending a right pain as you need that umbilical for your ascent.

So Bailout in theory is correct, although in practice most use a stage bottle. (or those I've seen kneeling on the floor at Stoney at any rate)

One big downside which is rarely discussed is the actual drag of the thing, cluttered chest area, extra cylinders, I thought it was supposed to be easy.

Andy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Unless you are racing I should have thought the drag is only a concern in that you potentially use more gas, but as you've got masses of the stuff anyway surely the drag isnt a problem?

Matt

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Not racing but simply swimming against a current. Co2 buildup, harder work etc etc generally regarded as a bad thing no matter how much gas you havewhich is why streamlining is becoming quite a popular topic amongst divers.

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But by the time you've finished using it for your BC (of course there are those who use drysuit for buoyancy)
You VERY rarely hear of Inspiration divers using their BC for buoyancy - it would mean THREE sources of bouyancy to control, and with two 3l cylinders, the change in weight between full and empty just isn't big enough for any of the "use the BC" concerns to be valid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]then you have to breathe it from the air2 thing which then makes ascending a right pain as you need that umbilical for your ascent.
Nah you don't - see above. Holistic approach, y'see  

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Interesting Dom. I'd always assumed that inspiration divers needed more weight, not less and therefore at depth they will need more buoyancy compensation not less and so the BC vs Drysuit debate becomes even more pertinent.

Reason being is that your gear with empty or near empty cylinders when properly weighted is neutrally buoyant at the surface, you then descend by emptying your lungs. As an inspiration diver cannot empty his lungs in this manner he therefore needs more weight, no matter what cylinders he has.

Andy

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]swimming against a current
SWIM???  Bugger that.  Drop down shot line. Bimble.  Go back up again.  

You're right about the cluttered chest area though, it is a pain. Though as with all things in life you get used to it if you want the benefit of lower work of breathing.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

AIUI (could be utterly wrong) they DO empty their lungs - exhale thru nose to empty the counterlungs and hence become negative.

Either way, all the RB divers I've chatted to use suit for buoyancy, as their weight remains virtually constant during a dive.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I remember reading an article recently and the drag caused by gauges, ponies/stages, twin sets, torches etc was awful could the case around the box actually be better than all that other clutter. It might make an interesting project.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Someday I hope to get some fishing scales and a scooter or other source of constant speed and measure the drag of all these different bits & bobs - once and for all, I'll know if bungeed wings really ARE better or worse for drag than normal ones

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Sep. 23 2003,15:32)]There is indeed bailout, in the little 3 ltr bottle.

But by the time you've finished using it for your BC (of course there are those who use drysuit for buoyancy) , flushing the loop perhaps and then replacing any gas in the loop used for mask clearing etc, there's not a lot left at 60 mtrs. Oh and then you have to breathe it from the air2 thing which then makes ascending a right pain as you need that umbilical for your ascent.
And that was my point. After the discussions I had with the chap who had one at the weekend he admitted it was the only weak link (as did another chap who uses on in the dive shop). My points were made with reference only to the inspiration.

I agree about the bouyancy thing, though. Most of the time they tend to use their drysuit for bouyancy and not use the BC which is integrated into the Inspiration.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

If I ever dive a CCR in the future I will dive with a 7ltr 32% stage and a 100% drop tank on the boat. I dont think the CCR offers much benifit in the weight and kit clutter stakes and thats not the reason to get one.

My reasions for wanting one are:

Loads of gas available if you get into trouble.

No need for multiple twin sets for varieng mix depth dives

Gas saving once initial equipment cost is ignored

No Bubbles

Warm moist gas

Less hassle on multiple dive trips where you keep having to rush about lugging heavy kit for fills.

Some deco saving on shallower dives (but this is not a big issue)

Reasions I dont get one are:

Safety issues not resolved to my satisfaction

I lack the dicipline to dive the unit safley

Initial cost of the kit

Re lurning diving from scratch would be a pain.

Andrew and I thaught long and hard about it this year and we decided to go for it next year. I am hoping that the CO2 temperature moniter system is up and runing by then.

I like the kiss unit but I will get the Insperation as its UK bassed and IMHO ahead of the game technicly.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I think I have just found my motto:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Drop down shot line. Bimble.  Go back up again
Bantam, you mentioned that you dived with an inspiration diver.  What bail out / AAS is available for the OC buddy of an Inspiration diver?

Andy

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aclivity @ Sep. 23 2003,17:46)]I think I have just found my motto:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Drop down shot line. Bimble.  Go back up again
Bantam, you mentioned that you dived with an inspiration diver.  What bail out / AAS is available for the OC buddy of an Inspiration diver?

Andy
Sorry I know I am not Bantton but:

If the CCR diver is Alpinist, then  some where between not a lot and bugger all.

You have on offer the same 3ltr bottle that he is using for his CCR.

The CCR chaps I dived with (Rob and Paul R Marks and Brad) were kind enough to have a stage of bail out gas with them. Rob had a 7 of 50% if i remember corectly and Paul and Brad had a seporate 3ltr of 20/30 or similar cliped to the side of his unit.

I think they all had conventional hose and reg for bail out.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What bail out / AAS is available for the OC buddy of an Inspiration diver?
the unit as standard you have the dilutant 3ltr bottle, admitatley may be only 2/3 full

most inspiration users i have talked to will carry an independant oc air supply, this being dependant on depth/expected decompression requirements, but minimum 3ltr pony

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aclivity @ Sep. 23 2003,17:46)]Bantam, you mentioned that you dived with an inspiration diver.  What bail out / AAS is available for the OC buddy of an Inspiration diver?
Good Question. Twinset or Pony?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts