YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help for a novice.
I'm finding when doing my checks prior to diving everything is ok,but once in the water my hoses (mainly inhale,ADV to mouthpiece) are folding/collapsing and either restricting or stopping my breathing.I contacted AP and they said the hoses could have developed a "memory" and to twist them 90 degrees. Idon't think this is the case as it has been a prob since i bought the unit and first started on dive 3.Some dives it's fine but then the problem returns
They also said the hoses could be too long and to crop them, however on measuring other rigs I find mine are already shorter.
Any comments (helpful please) would be appreciated.

1,339 Posts
Help for a novice.
I'm finding when doing my checks prior to diving everything is ok,but once in the water my hoses (mainly inhale,ADV to mouthpiece) are folding/collapsing and either restricting or stopping my breathing.I contacted AP and they said the hoses could have developed a "memory" and to twist them 90 degrees. Idon't think this is the case as it has been a prob since i bought the unit and first started on dive 3.Some dives it's fine but then the problem returns
They also said the hoses could be too long and to crop them, however on measuring other rigs I find mine are already shorter.
was the unit second hand? have you serviced the mouth piece? could be the mushroom valves sticking .best advice pm mark chase he has vast knowledge on ccr,s

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Where abouts are they collapsing.
A. ADV end
B. mouthpiece end

Do you do your checks
A. mouthpiece in your gob
B. mouthpiece hanging on the hoses

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Help for a novice.

I cant tell without seeing you but it does sound like the hoses are set up badly and twisting once your in the unit with the mouthpiece in . This has happened to me and I made a point of doing a touch feel check on the hoses before the dive. It happened once on deco as well Fortunately my hoses turned quite easily so it was simple to un kink the hose.

You need your buddy to help with visual checks before the dive and during if it happens again.

The old AP flat looking rubber hoses seem softer and more prone to this problem. My newer shiny plasticly looking ones, are much better.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
bubble maker
286 Posts
hose collapse

if it's the suck hose then it's possible that your wob is too high due to over packing the scrubber.

if you gently operate the adv manually does it pop out again?

i think this would be a bit worrying, and of course the harder you try to breathe in the worse it gets.

all the best
ibbo

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The unit was bought new,and is 10mths old
Collapse is between ADV and mouthpiece
Yes I do my checks when assembling the unit (mushroom valves work fine and once on check breathing rate while turning head L & R,doing the touch/feel bit and have had my buddy (he's been on a unit a couple of years)visually check/adjust everything is fine before going in.He has also checked it out once in the water.
I pack the scrubber the same way as the latest AP video guide.
I have'nt tried gently operating the ADV (good point mate)will give that a try.

thanks guys

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I'd guess you want to twist the T-pieces so they points out a bit more.
People tend to set things up so the t-piece is right inline with the counterlung but that doesn't work for me as I like to turn my head without kinking the side I'm turning towards or pulling the other side tight.
You don't have to turn them far 10-15 degrees makes a huge difference to the 'feel'.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already do that, but thanks Nigel.
It was mentioned I may have duff hoses (unlucky)and no ammount of fiddling will sort the prob,so I have ordered some new hoses,

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you did what nige and Simon said and they still collapse, you should check them by placing the open end on your cheek and trying to suck the hose flat - that will prove it's the hoses and not how you have them rigged.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New hoses fitted and sent the old ones back to AP at their request,now all Ineed is some decent weather so I can get wet and test them out.
I will let you know how I get on.

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
Hi Kev

Just noticed this post, i dont think you will find the new hoses any different. I sufered the same problem, on doning the unit and pre-breath etc all was fine but as soon as i entered the water my inhale hose would always kink. This must have been to the fact the way the unit sat on my back and my head posittion in the water neck height etc etc. twisting the T's or hoses whilst fitted in the unit in hte water just made the hoses kink free, but the mouthpiece cock eyed whilst in use.

Here was my solution, Rather than having the hoses sat like this (mouth piece closed) on the surface Method 1:-

Method 2:-Have them Sat like this (again mouthpiece closed)

When you open the mouthpiece on the surface of method 2 you will find that it sits in the same postion as the original method 1 when the mouthpiece was closed.
Method 2 with mouthpiece open

Works for me, and my hoses sit perfectly kink free and the mouthpiece perfectly flat in use.

Hope i have manged to explain it easy enough for you, and that it helps. I think you will find it cures your problem.

Gaz

Reactions: broady

·
Registered
517 Posts
Another thing to try if you still have problems is setting the unit lower down your back, this will pull the T pieces back and give a better curve to the mouthpiece. If the lungs have two sets of mounting holes using the upper set has the same effect.

Problem could be, um, how to put this delicately..... your a bit of a shorter than the average diver so the standard set-up needs a bit of fettling.

Simon

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
Another thing to try if you still have problems is setting the unit lower down your back, this will pull the T pieces back and give a better curve to the mouthpiece. If the lungs have two sets of mounting holes using the upper set has the same effect.

Problem could be, um, how to put this delicately..... your a bit of a shorter than the average diver so the standard set-up needs a bit of fettling.

Simon
I disagree, i am 6ft and 14stone of pure sex god haahaaaa, sorry i digress. I dont think size comes into it as i suffered the same problem and i am 6ft and 14stone just not to sure about the sex god bit.

Try my suggestion and let me know how you get on Kev

Pic of me and the wife in the redsea last year, just to show using my method the hoses and mouthiece sit proper and kink free

ATB
Gareth

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input,I am off to Ireland next week and will be diving (if we ever get any good weather)so will try out the solutions offered and give feedback.

SHORT,SHORT Simon you better keep your head down pal. lol :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
hose kinking

I had a similar problem when I changed from the classic to vision. What I noticed that for some reason the hose on one side seemed more flexible than the other as if the rubber was slightly of thinner quality. I purchased replacement hose from rebreatherspares.co.uk and the problem has stopped. I know you shouldn't be having to do that on a newish bit of kit but at least you will then have a spare hose incase of emergency. What you could do to see if it is a similar problem is swop the hoses round (thats assuming you have the hose removal tool) Then if the hose does not kink on the adv side then you know it will be worth while to replace it

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
Did you try your friends hoses/mouthpiece to see if they made any difference? That's presuming he is diving an Inspiration too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the hoses are too long and you are small build they will kink. I had it happen on the Hispania last year dring a dive and sh*t myself!

AP shortened the hoses for me and they're fine now.

TJ (Tracy)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts