YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise on the cost of installing an outside tap please. Shouldn't be too difficult as the sink unit is on the inside of the wall of where I want the tap to go.

Cheers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Easy job

Hi Jag,

Thius is a very easy DIY job, you can get a kit from all DIY stores, just drill the hole in the wall where you want the tap, fit the specuial self tapping tap onto the cold water pipe inside the house and run the pipe through the wall.

All explained in the instructions, probably cost you abouyt a tenner and an hours work.

HTH

Andy

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Can anyone advise on the cost of installing an outside tap please. Shouldn't be too difficult as the sink unit is on the inside of the wall of where I want the tap to go.
word of advice though, know where your external stop tap is before attempting anything and make sure it works.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hi Jag,

Thius is a very easy DIY job, you can get a kit from all DIY stores, just drill the hole in the wall where you want the tap, fit the specuial self tapping tap onto the cold water pipe inside the house and run the pipe through the wall.

All explained in the instructions, probably cost you abouyt a tenner and an hours work.

HTH

Andy
That's what I did and it works a treat. Took about an hour and the kit cost me £6 from a plumbers merchants.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Self cutting taps create a small hole which will seriously restrict the flow.

Hopefully you will have an isolation valve between your inside tap and supply which will allow you to shut the supply off. It's then easy to cut the pipe, fit a T piece (John Guest speed fit fittings are quick and simple), hole in the wall and then a tap and backplate.

The whole lot from me including a pipeslice would be £23.08 plus a piece of pipe depending on the length. That is what you should pay locally for parts.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts

I wouldn't use one of these kits for anything where you need a decent pressure.

If you've got the wherewithall to drill a 16mm hole through an outside wall, you ought to be able to put a proper T junction in a cold-water pipe even if you have to use compression fittings rather than solder. If not, get a plumber to do it, it's not a big job.

Don't forget to put a shut-off valve in the line as you'll need to be able to drain it if the temperature plummets.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PMSL!!

You lot obviously don't know me!! :D

Me+drill+house=homeless!! Honestly I'm about as crap at DIY as you can get. How much would a professional charge?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I think a double check valve is required too. Between a servicing valve (avoids future system shut down, but more failure points) and outlet. Best placed indoors depending on access.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Call out charge + 1 hour unless the wall is thick (cob wall etc.) should do it.

They usually like to make a few extra quid on these little jobs as it usually means they aren't doing a big job instead.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Dont forget any exposed outside piping should be lagged. Anyone mention an isolator in the house would be a nice idea, so if the outside bit freezes and splits you can shut just that off, rather than the whole house ;)

Matt

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
It's a real doddle as explained here

Installing An Outside Tap

You will HAVE to fit some form of double check valve as mentioned by Adrian.

This can be acheived by installing one on the internal pipework, fitting a tap with an integrated double check valve or fitting something like a Nobak Triton backflow prevention valve.

If you have to get a professional in to do it then pricing should equate to about 1-1.5 hours work depending on ease of access etc.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
PMSL!!

You lot obviously don't know me!! :D

Me+drill+house=homeless!! Honestly I'm about as crap at DIY as you can get. How much would a professional charge?
£49.50 including the tap 4 years ago, but then they don't charge Suvvern c*****nt rates around here ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
£49.50 including the tap 4 years ago, but then they don't charge Suvvern c*****nt rates around here ;)

Safe diving,
Steve
These days you are probably better off paying in Zlotys - saves paying conversion rates when they send it back home to Poland.

·
Warm water Diver
647 Posts
outside tap

HI...for a professional to supply and install an out side tap should cost NO MORE than £55 GBP.......hope this helps...........

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
These days you are probably better off paying in Zlotys - saves paying conversion rates when they send it back home to Poland.
be better in euros then now they are part of EU. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts