YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little conundrum, no that's not a euphemism!

I'm hoping that there, well actually I know there are some legal Eagles out there in YD land.

2 things really that I could do with help with....
Background is SWMBO's Ma passed on at the age of 72 last weekend, went peacefully etc... we have been dealing with the usual paperwork but there are a couple of issues that I'm having difficulty with.

Ma had a companion/carer who has been living with/caring for Ma for a number of years. The Carer owned the car but Ma was the policy-holder with the carer as a named driver, the carer also had a motorhome, recently sold, which she(the carer also owned) but was the only insured driver for, Ma couldn't manage that beast.

Is her insurance still valid on the car?....

Also, Ma took out a substantial loan with a bank, Lloyds in this case at the age of 71 c£18K with no income apart from state pension and little bits of income, virtually nothing. Was it misleading for her to be granted a loan of this size at her age, and would a court be likely to set-aside the loan in the circumstances considering her recent history of Ill-health (open heart surgery 6 years ago and COPD) with a not very good prognosis for the next few years as evidenced by her recent demise due to a massive heart- attack

Any advice gratefull received as usual.....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The whole insurance issue sounds really bizarre. It's definitely not typical and I would guess that the policy is no longer valid. The policy sounds peculiar anyway. I've never heard of an insurance company allowing the chief policy holder to not be the owner or registered keeper of the car before. As insurance companies vary so greatly the only way to know for sure is to contact the insurers unfortunately.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I have a little conundrum, no that's not a euphemism!

I'm hoping that there, well actually I know there are some legal Eagles out there in YD land.

2 things really that I could do with help with....
Background is SWMBO's Ma passed on at the age of 72 last weekend, went peacefully etc... we have been dealing with the usual paperwork but there are a couple of issues that I'm having difficulty with.

Ma had a companion/carer who has been living with/caring for Ma for a number of years. The Carer owned the car but Ma was the policy-holder with the carer as a named driver, the carer also had a motorhome, recently sold, which she(the carer also owned) but was the only insured driver for, Ma couldn't manage that beast.

Is her insurance still valid on the car?....

Also, Ma took out a substantial loan with a bank, Lloyds in this case at the age of 71 c£18K with no income apart from state pension and little bits of income, virtually nothing. Was it misleading for her to be granted a loan of this size at her age, and would a court be likely to set-aside the loan in the circumstances considering her recent history of Ill-health (open heart surgery 6 years ago and COPD) with a not very good prognosis for the next few years as evidenced by her recent demise due to a massive heart- attack

Any advice gratefull received as usual.....

I had a similar, although not exactly the same situation when my parents died.
This is all IMO based on that, but i'd say it was pretty sound.

The insurance belongs to the policyholder, regardless of any other named drivers, As she is now deceased it
is void and you should cancel it and any refund goes into the estate.

When she took out the policy there should have been additional life-insurance to cover the debt if she died
before it was paid off. This is automatic with loans, but as there is a cost you do have to opt out.

I'd check to see if there was any protection involved with the loan and if she did opt out, given her health
what advice was given and if her health actually prevented her from getting protection. If the latter was
a factor you might have a case, but need to do some digging first (not easy) and get as much info as
you possibly can.

Might be an idea to walk into another Lloyds bank and make out you want a loan for your Ma and ask a load
of questions as to what they would do. Could both clarify or give you ammo for any future case.

·
Gone to pastures new
958 Posts
About the loan not to sure but I doubt you'll be able to void it, it will be a debt on the estate unless you could prove some kind of shenanigans on the part of the bank. ref the car I have similar issue when my FiL died and the insurance ceased with his death leaving my then MiL unable to drive the car, however, after a discussion the insurers were happy to transfer the policy and continue it so that should be able to be revolved with a phone call since the carer was the driver in any case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts