YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Check your policies!!!!!!!! i have just returned from holiday in Tenerife, good time good diving. when i arrived home i found that my dive computer and watch were missing. pain in the bum but never mind i was insured (or so i thought) i called the airline and reported it, got the correct form, then reported it to the Police. all ok so far, i informed the insurance company on the monday (closed weekends) they sent me the claim form, filled it in and sent everything i had about where i had been and flight tickets, value of goods. Two days later i had a letter telling me that my stuff was not covered. because it was "in custody of a carrier" i am not going to mention the name of the dive insurance company yet, but i just wanted to warn you. Its not the end of it, i enjoy a good battle. they are too keen to take your money.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

X...hope it goes your way.

As usual, with insurance you always have to read the small print...especially as divers as our stuff is expensive and compact so easily to snaffle....unless it's cheap and big.

I think if you do a search "insurance" there's loads of tips, generally but also from people that have been in your situation ...

Regards.

Graham

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

You get em..Show no mercy..I hate insurance companies...Legalised bl***y theft if you ask me

Rip some lungs out and hit them around the head with the soggy ends
Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

too right!!!!!!!!! i will keep you all informed on the final outcome they are very quick to take you money. the thing that get me i i hadnt even got the comp and watch wet, i only ha them in my mits for about 24 hours. must be a record ha  

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

Read the small print of the policy very carefully and then use it to beat them into submission with.  If there is any possible ambiguity just threaten them with the small claims court

I had a problem with an insurer when on holiday in Tenerife, we were burgled and my dive computer and mask were nicked.  I tried to claim and they said that it wasn't insured because it was 'sports equipment'.  It was indeed sport equipment, and the policy said sports equipment wasn't covered, but they had a list of sports in the small print that they didn't cover the kit of and scuba wasn't one of them - I think they include it now !

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

You've not got them wet yet......buy them while on hols?.....paid with a credit card?......claim from them......insured for three months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

paid cash got a better deal, all the paper work was with the stuff,  just in case. Suffed i supose having a go at the carriers now insurance company have said a flat no Westfields (oops ive said their name) haven't been very helpful at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts