YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>2 weeks ago i was awakened by a knock on the door at 7am to find the door of my van had been forced open and the contents riffled,i had taken out all my dive kit the previous evening except for my parts box.
i contacted my house insurance that covers my kit under the personal possesions section and they sent out a claim form.
so far so good?
the claim form requires all the original reciepts and an estimate to replace them.
the parts and tools i had been collecting over time and i have not kept a specific file of reciepts although all have been bought on a credit card.(no surprise there then)
after spending days wading through mountains of paperwork i now have a rough list that i am going to submit.
i also have to contact suppliers to get estimates for replacement cost's.
the sickening thing is the box is probably thrown in a ditch somewhere as the contents are only usefull to a diver and my name is on most of it....anal i know.
so has anyone got any experience of this type of claim and what advise can you offer before i send in the claim form.
cheers
barrie

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Sorry to hear the bad news about the theft.

It pays to check the policy wording. Is it a "new for old policy?"
These policies sometimes cost a little more but saves a lot of hassle. Mainly because the need to prove the original cost becomes irrelevant. I had a valuable sun dial and plinth removed from my garden, complete with anchorings. I had to obtain quotes to replace which was a lot less hassle.

One useful thing to do and may seem extremely an*l is to  take photographs of your kit and store images on a CD. We have done this for mother-in-laws china collection. Only takes a few minutes with a digital camera.

If you used a broker to take out the insurance policy, really hassle the broker into doing some work for you. Make them earn their commission.

Sadly insurers do like to wriggle out of paying. My Dad who worked in the industry for 35 years always believed that there is cheap insurance and good insurance.

Ian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Bad news mate....I have had people come in with the same problem and I have found that (if you get your kit from them) if you get your local LDS to write you a letter stating that you had bought all this stuff from them and at what price, insurance companies usually accept that as prrof.

Anotherr thing you can do is to write down all the serial numbers of stuff stolen and circulate them to all your LDS's

Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts