YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've got the internal cylinder, and an M18 x 1.5mm O2 clean Scubatec valve.

If one takes the rubber handwheel off the valve, and stick the cylinder in the case, the brass spindle sticks out of the case on the side by a few millimeters.

I'm sure my local machine shop can easily make something which replaces the rubber handwheel that will allow me to open and close the cylinder without opening the case.

One of the slightly baffling things is that the hole in the side of the case does not line up with the cylinder valve axis. Its a bit off centre which is a PITA.

Any suggestions or clues about how others have solved this problem?

rgds
monty

·
You think I know nothing....and I do!!
562 Posts
Hi

rgds
monty
Dremel Monty...excellent bit of kit. Works a treat reaming out the plastic for a bit of extra room.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Nautec valve and a short slob knob to control it with.
Thanks for that.

Would you mind sharing which company makes a "short slob knob"

Not really sure if I want to go that route, but also not sure if I have a choice in the matter ....

rgds
monty

rgds
monty

·
Registered
124 Posts
Would you mind sharing which company makes a "short slob knob"
If truth be told, I should have been more specific in that I have the 24" rather than the 36".

I believe it is an OMS, I bought it used from a guy on RBW.

I am very close to having the unit ready to dive. At that point I'll post some pics of the "arrangement", which includes the internal cylinder and Nautec valve (as shown on the OSEL website).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apoc -a- Lapse

1. Given the obvious problems it is throwing up - I am particularly interested to understand the reason for the apparent mis - alignment of :

a. the integrated O2 cylinder / cylinder valve bore / cylinder valve knob shaft axis with the

b. centre point of the apparent access hole in the casing

2. This is because it seems absurd that it does not appear to have been coordinated in the design to align properly and there also appear to be issues with the conflicting adjacency of the external side mounted cylinder valve knob and regulator

3. This is an issue that also appears to be borne out in the DL technical drawings, where one might make the reasonable assumption that, in the first place, the design appears to have forgotten to allow the control of the integrated O2 cylinder valve through the case during the dive :

a. In drawing ORM0100A1.dwg dated 16/11/2009 - item 791e Tank Valve for O2 service 230 bar M25 inlet M26 outlet) the cylinder valve control knob is shown as :

i. internal to the case and

ii. clearly protruding at a 90 degree angle from the axis of the cylinder valve, rotated and pointing c45 degrees from the horizontal towards the inside of the rear cover

TOP_ORM0100A1_OR_Ap.jpg

b. On that same drawing (as with the other drawings) it does appear strange that the person drafting the drawing appears to have chosen to obscure the exploded view of the hole alignment and not shown the elevational view which would have clarified this cylinder valve knob access as a key part of the assembly

c. In drawing ORS7000A.dwg dated 18/05/2009 the (wearers right hand side) side elevation appears to clearly define the circumference arc of the internal O2 cylinder fixing strap and one can by simple scaling of the drawing identify that there is not alignment with:

i. the integrated O2 cylinder / cylinder valve bore / cylinder valve knob shaft axis with the

ii. centre point of the apparent access hole in the casing

ORS7000A (Assy of &.jpg

4. Under normal analysis and review of the design one would question whether the whole point of this essential access to the integrated O2 cylinder valve external to the case during the dive was ever properly considered.

5. To many this may seem like pedantics, but it does raise the questions as to whether:

a. such an important part of the strategic design (the iCCR integrated O2 VIPR) was not ever properly and adequately defined

b. this is at the core of the problem being currently experienced by EAs of servicable "fit" irrespective of the use of VIPR or user procured non VIPR orientated integrated O2 cylinder / cylinder valve bore / cylinder valve knob valve assemblies.

c. if 5.b. is correct, the servicable "fit" of two adjacent assemblies namely the integrated O2 cylinder valve knob and any externally mounted cylinder knob and regulator assembly could be in such conflict as to make the "fit" practically unservicable.

d. why OSEL now publish a 3D rendered CAD image on their Facebook page for no apparent reason or context in Q3 2011, describing the VIPR as a "concept" (and ironically once again it does appear very strange that the person drafting the 3D rendered CAD image drawing appears to have chosen to obscure the very "concept" the drawing is meant to define).

e. Why none of the photographic images hard won from OSEL actually show the serviceable "fit" of the two adjacent assemblies namely the integrated O2 cylinder valve knob and any externally mounted cylinder knob and regulator assembly

284682_242376539125&.jpg 246973_220974447932&.jpg

6. I am therefore very keen to see how although being part of a much boasted 200 man year design development, one must now wait to see how 3 end users on three different continents are going to be forced execute a homebuild work around to make this rebreather operate safely - Good Luck to Moley, Harley and Monty - sometimes the ingenuity of the enthusiastic end user far exceeds that of the full resources of the designer and manufacturer - Not so much "Open Safety Equipment Limited" as " Partially Open Safety Equipment Limited"

Ding Ding

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ridge, several people flagged this to Alex 3yrs ago when the internal cylinder was first mooted, his answer was you don't need to turn it on/off so why provide for it.

Frankly I can't see the point discussing it, as was suggest straight away- Dremel + slob Knob or one-off "long" Knob (and who doesn't want one of those?) But then you've flushed your CE Cert down the toilet... :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
6. I am therefore very keen to see how although being part of a much boasted 200 man year design development, one must now wait to see how 3 end users on three different continents are going to be forced execute a homebuild work around to make this rebreather operate safely - Good Luck to Moley, Harley and Monty - sometimes the ingenuity of the enthusiastic end user far exceeds that of the full resources of the designer and manufacturer ....
I think that at this point it is fair to say that the Apocalypse is a very sophisticated, well-designed and expertly crafted homebuilt platform. I apologize in advance to Alex as I know that statement may give him a bit of a stomach knot, but the fact remains that I am delighted with my unit and what I paid for it.

The development of the Apocrypha dive computer is buzzing along, who knows, I might even have it done before the iCCR pods ship!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I think that at this point it is fair to say that the Apocalypse is a very sophisticated, well-designed and expertly crafted homebuilt platform. I apologize in advance to Alex as I know that statement may give him a bit of a stomach knot, but the fact remains that I am delighted with my unit and what I paid for it.

The development of the Apocrypha dive computer is buzzing along, who knows, I might even have it done before the iCCR pods ship!
did mr ward tell you that ,,, lol

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Bitte schön! The Apocrypha is my design. If you have an interest in it, send me a $5,000 deposit and I will add you to the waiting list.
lol list,s im on a few , and never had to part with a bean , :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi

I've got the internal cylinder, and an M18 x 1.5mm O2 clean Scubatec valve.

If one takes the rubber handwheel off the valve, and stick the cylinder in the case, the brass spindle sticks out of the case on the side by a few millimeters.

I'm sure my local machine shop can easily make something which replaces the rubber handwheel that will allow me to open and close the cylinder without opening the case.

One of the slightly baffling things is that the hole in the side of the case does not line up with the cylinder valve axis. Its a bit off centre which is a PITA.

rgds
monty

Monty
I came to the same conclusion and found the nautec valve. I suspect that narked at 90 or tec me may be able to do something here??? would the valve knob fit if the hole is dremmelled slightly and also would the knob interfer with other externally mounted cylinders?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Monty
I came to the same conclusion and found the nautec valve. I suspect that narked at 90 or tec me may be able to do something here??? would the valve knob fit if the hole is dremmelled slightly and also would the knob interfer with other externally mounted cylinders?
A small piece of the valve knob would protrude if you made the hole bigger. Not sure if it will be enough to grip. I'm reluctant to take a Dremel to my brand new machine if we can make another plan.

Part of my reluctance to make the hole bigger is because I'm worried about the accessibility of the valve knob considering the externally mounted cylinders.

On the weekend I was looking at some flexible plastic doodahs for ratchets and things to work at odd angles. It looks like Loc-Line, so it bends but it doesnt rotate along its own axis if that makes sense? I think it could work, still trying to figure out how to rig the whole lot. Its cheap enough to try so what the hell ..

It looks like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/373546616/1_4_DR_FLEXIBLE_EXTENSION_BAR.html

rgds
monty

·
Registered
124 Posts
On the weekend I was looking at some flexible plastic doodahs for ratchets and things to work at odd angles. It looks like Loc-Line, so it bends but it doesnt rotate along its own axis if that makes sense? I think it could work, still trying to figure out how to rig the whole lot. Its cheap enough to try so what the hell ..

It looks like this:

1/4" DR. FLEXIBLE EXTENSION BAR-TFH products, buy 1/4" DR. FLEXIBLE EXTENSION BAR-TFH products from alibaba.com

rgds
monty
That is essentially the basis of the OMS (or whomever) slob knob with three important differences:

1) Shorter+

2) Flexible+

3) No connectors-

So if you can work out #3 you will have delivered up a (near) perfect solution.

Don't forget to share :teeth:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts