YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Since I put a couple of ads on the net (UKdiving, Divrernet) I could have become a millionaire based on all of those gits that are scamming the `can you cash a zillion dollars for me` tale. Funny to start with but now its really pissing me off.

Add to this all the sad bazzers who are sending me `read this file` emails that contain viruses (thank god for Norton antivirus)

So the question is - how can I filter these sad, deviant, scummy, etc !!! emails from ever getting to my machine

(Please - dont say `dont post ads on handbagnet or UKD - I learnt that one !!!)

Thanks from Mr patient (but soon to become an axe murderer if this dont stop)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Google search "mailwasher", it's a free anti-spam program that will allow you to examine and delete, bounce and blacklist any and all incoming mail.
A doddle to use, set it up over the first month or so, add freinds, blacklist others then it almost runs itself.

HTH, Stu.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>I have been using Mailwasher for a couple of years now. It is so good I even sent them money.
As I receive on average 70 junk mails a day at home, with many having viruses, I find this to be invaluable.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

The most basic solution is to change your email address in the advert like:

[email protected] (Please remove NOSPAM to reply)

This keeps the automatic programs from trawling your real email address off forums.

You might also want to use a different email address for stuff like that.
Just set up a Hotmail account to use for anyone apart from your mates.  Easy, and if you get too much spam, bin it and set up a new one.

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

Scams - they aren't scams - these people are genuinely offering you a cut of a legit business deal.  

Incidentally, my 12th uncle 5 times removed was the President of Ging Gang Gooolia, and he's just died leaving £100000000000000 in an account.  If you PM me your PIN number, bank account details, shirt size, home address and shoe size, I'll transfer the funds into your account for a few days and give you a cut........

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

It's not the viruses that bother me.

I get more warnings about "Don't open email that contains..." than I do the actual viruses.

Wouldn't be so bad, but I'm immune to all the viruses, so I can open with impunity just for fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.