YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody dive with one of these?
I've just got me hands on one and am going to seek proper training when I get back to UK. In the meantime I'm interested how people have theirs set up, 1st stage etc, as I'm going to have to have a go in the shallow end!

Regards

Chris/z
:)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I've used one, what do you want to know? Just make sure it works fine on the surface, then go have a play in some water. If it floods a bit then purge it, you just want to make sure you have a decent face seal. I used to do that by turning the gas off and breathing it down and making sure it sucked hard against my face.

Oh, and make sure you do some shallow water bailing off the thing. Because there's not much in this world less pleasant than removing a FFM in really cold water :) Well, maybe the STI test, but not much other than that.

You will know what you need to do with it by diving it. They're a solid bit of kit which will just work, might need a bit of tuning maybe, but not much. Treat it same as a reg, because basically that's what's on the front.

Digs.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I've got one....Apeks FSR 1st stage but most will work fine. They are a superb bit of kit.. You'll be pleasently surprised just how comfortable and easy to dive they are..

You'll soon get used to clearing your ears... that bit of black rubber inside the mouthpeice needs to sit just below yor nostils.. gentle push up on the middle of the reg to clear... and it falls off so put a cable tie on it or you will loose it.

Go to the OTS site and download the manual... spares are freely avalible from Divex and Stoney cove... Stoney even keep stuff on the shelf.

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=24&c=6

Reactions: Chriz

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Digs/Twins,
Going to stick it on a ATX 100 1st stage & see what happens.

Regards

Chris/z
:)

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I used mine on both a Poseidon Jetstream and an Apeks DST first stage, worked fine either way.

Other things, if it is a positive pressure version then have some big cylinders as it pisses through gas (it's really at its best surface supply). Also carry a half mask if you have to bail off it. Not really a problem in the pool but if you are using it in anger then essential. I can't get nose bars to seal on my nose on FFM's so I removed the block on mine and wore a nose clip instead.

For maintenance, check the folds in the mask's skirt for cracking if it is an older model. I was told to lightly grease the inside of all folds, I don't know if that helps.

They can also make your head feel very floaty when you first try one so be prepared for your trim to feel a bit off. Some people I dived with used to wear a pair of ankle weights round their necks. I never bothered.

Cheers,

Stuart

1 - 5 of 5 Posts