·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
653 Posts
Helen
Thanks for this I had seen a paper on this subject a year or so back, but this is a good lecture on this chaps research. The concept of opening up lung blood vessels with exercise to allow micro bubbles bigger than the critical expansion diameter to pass to the systemic circulation is a very valid one and does explain some problems with pulmonary physiology that are difficult to understand otherwise. His exaple case (lad with pelvic fracture) at the beginning is poor because it is a pathological malformation causing the problem not the physiological shunt he is later presenting . I was not aware of his more recent work on the effect of PO2 1bar on the exercised induced shunt, this is yet another reason why decompression on O2 at around 1bar is a good idea. However I am not sure at what levels of exercise this effect becomes significant. For sure swimming hard against a current while doing a 6m deco stop on air is a bad idea but I think we knew that anyway.
Very interesting work should be seen by anyone with an interest in decompression physiology.
Tim Digger

1 - 2 of 2 Posts