YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, doing as asked and posting a quick 'about me'. I'm a holiday diver, trying to get into UK diving now. Did PADI OW in Lake Malawi about 14 years ago now, and since then have dived Barrier Reef, Ovalau (Fiji), Chake Chake (Pemba), a fair few Sharm trips and most recently Manacles, Falmouth and Capernwray. I don't get in the water anything like enough, hence looking at the UK for the first time last year......

I'm based near Bristol, have little spare time and am already committed to teaching kids rugby at weekends for 8 1/2 months of the year ! So am not entirely sure how I am going to get wet much more often just by buying a dry suit, but its worth a go.

I'm opinionated and loud at times, so should fit in just fine ;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You'll have to speak up, didn't hear you! Welcome to YD. I hate you as you've dived Pemba, GBR and Figi and I have not...yet.

Anyhoo, hello and enjoy!

·
ooo soup -- aah trifle -- mmm diving
494 Posts
......and don't think you will be diving anytime with us in Capernwray either........lol

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time on here.
Always wear your crash helmet though.

·
Bristol
332 Posts
Welcome. There are a number of clubs in Bristol including ours. You're more than welcome to come along and have a chat if you like - we meet every Tuesday evening near the city centre. PM me if you'd like more info.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Welcome to YD

As Mrs Calamity says, come over to Vobbie some time. Also keep your eyes out for trips and spaces advertised on here.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Welcome to YD

As Mrs Calamity says, come over to Vobbie some time. Also keep your eyes out for trips and spaces advertised on here.
Yes, welcome :)
Vobbi is a great place for practise, pleasure diving and a fun social time and, as you come from Bristol, isn't far to travel Vobster Quay Inland Diving Centre

See you there sometime

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
Welcome to YD, if you are feeling particularly lazy and don't want to drive to Vobster or NDC we're lucky to have a third option in Bristol. There's a third quarry just to north of Bristol, it's not deep about 15m or as well developed (except for gas blending) but on the other hand it's cheaper and lest crowded. Have a google for Cromhall.

·
Underwater Ogre
179 Posts
Indeed welcome to YD, I also agree with Cromhall, the worlds easiest and friendly dive site!

If you fancy another club google 'dive monkey club'. Its a very active and friendly club with some great dives planned this year (in fact every year) both UK based and abroad. Next meet Jan 26th when Maria Munn is coming to give us a chat :)

·
1,171 Posts
Bit of a tour for you next week then Andy:

Monday: Severnside
Tuesday: Bristol No.3
Wednesday: Clifton

Kirsty, when did you move from the Demi Lune?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi David

We moved pubs a while back (before I joined the club so over 18 months ago) - I think the Demi Lune closed for refurbishment IIRC; coincidentally it's reopened recently so we were going to head there for a "Friday Night Shout" soonish, for old time's sake.

·
Sews all his PADI patches on to his banana hammock
586 Posts
Welcome to YD!

As dave mentioned just visit Welcome to The Dive Monkey Club! if you fancy looking at a Bristol club. You're quite spoilt for choice in Bristol they're quite a few clubs to choose from.

If you do your homework and plan it right, you should be out most evenings in January drinking and talking about diving! A good start to 2011! Do the rounds and enjoy!

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all - I went down to Severnside with David G, and am going to give the UK a go. I've started attending the Dive Leader lectures and am apparently going to enjoy the delights of Vobster in the very near future !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts