YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi

I've just upgraded my regs to ScubaPro MK25/S600 Din version, anyway when I assembled my kit at the pool tonight a mate who has the same setup said "oh you've got the 1st stage upside down" I said yes because its more compact that way with less of the first stage protruding at the top to whack on things. He then said he didn't think it was healthy to put the 1st stage this way. I did anyway without probs but I was only in a swimming pool so it didn't really matter.

I don't want to cause any damage to my regs long term and I certainly don't want to do anything that could cause me problems when openwater so what the consensus, is it ok to invert my first stage or is it detrimental to regs or me?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Yup. It might make it slightly more vulnerable to damage if you habitually thump your cylinder valves against large solid objects, but other than that, he's wrong.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

My partner has the same setup and it is 'upside down' too. I thought it looked too high the right way up, as it is a long first stage and she would bang her head against it if that was how it was supposed to be. My Apeks TX100's are sideways on my twinset.

It is quite funny how people think about this stuff. How does a first stage know what is up and what is down ? Its not as if they work by gravity is it?

Andy

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I have dived my MK20 first stages upside down for over one year on my twin set and over 3 years on a single with no problems. Most dives in the 30-40 mtr range with a couple deeper for the twin set period.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have dived my MK20 first stages upside down for over one year on my twin set and over 3 years on a single with no problems
Pretty much the same as that - I dived with upside-down MK20ULs for years - also work well mounted horizontally for tidier hose routing.  Got sick of the ULs rotting (nothing to do with which way they pointed), so got a free swap from Scubapro to MK25s (result) and they're also fine whatever the orientation.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It's had me intigued, too, translates (from German) as Almond Bread. Care to explain?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have absolutly no idea which way up my first stages are suposed to be but I can asure you that on my Apex or Ocianic first stages it dosent apear to make any diferance.

The 'way up' they are is what ever way provides the best house routing for the rig I am diving.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks to all of you for putting my mind at rest. I was inclined to believe it wouldn't make any diff but thought I should get more info.  

To the few who wanted more info on my nick, no I'm not related to Benoit but the name is. Its quite boring really but when I was a student I was quite into fractal equations & the patterns they produce (still am) with the Mandlebrot set being one of the most famous fractal sets. If you are interested in seeing any of these images then theres a few here:- Mandlebrot Set Images

1 - 10 of 10 Posts