YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

For all those diving inverted twins, a question:

If you have stages, side-slung 10's for example, how do you reach round and do your shut-downs on the twins?

Or does no-one diving inverts use stages?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

haven't tried it with stages recently but from what I remember it was no effort to reach over the stage(s) to get to the pillar valves, after all they tend to be slung from chest height so there's little to get in the way, unless there's others who mount them much lower down

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>It depends where you clip off the stages. I'm clipping mine to the wing D-rings for the weekend to give it a good run, as I've not dived stages with the new rig yet. I used to clip them to D-rings on my tanks, but I don't have D-rings on the bands any more, and I reckon it would be difficult, especially for the isolator.

My thinking is that I can just put my arm behind the whole stage and it will work fine.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

It looks like, if you want to be a big hard deep diver, you need to have your cylinders the RIGHT way up but if you're going to pretend to be a proper diver (30m max) you can invert.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

But Doug surely if you want twinverts what you actually look like is a fireman that just plain guzzles gas?

ps what the news on the ops for the ticker hole

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Hey, Unbendable (Can I call you "U-Bend"?), you're just a fashion victim!  

Thanks all - and I want to thank you all now while I can still use both ears, because when I invert, I'm never going to hear the end of it from Doug...

I guess suck it and see is all I can do.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I suppose you'll be inverting your stages as well, just to prove a point.
I can't wait to see the skippers face when you turn up with your strange dive kit and try to find a buddy out of the normal divers on the boat. You'll be ok for the shallow stuff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

I will still dive with you Mdemon, I spend most of my time upside down so won't notice your cylinders are the wrong way up

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Feb. 28 2004,18:12)]
Doug don't notice when your not even there, so upside down won't make a difference
If nobody warns me that i'm supposed to be babysitting, i won't look after you.

If you look the part, i'll assume,rightly or wrongly that you know what you're doing and let you get on with it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Why invert anyway...?

Also, why have D rings on your rear cylinders, especially so if inverted?

Just asking...

Graham

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you look the part, i'll assume,rightly or wrongly that you know what you're doing and let you get on with it.
Yup - bullsh*t baffles brains

Why invert?  Dammit - not you too!

Because I have tried and it is too difficult.  I have been seduced by the Dark Side (Twinvert, not Clan) and shall forevermore be known by Doug as a Cripple.  I am sure I could train into it, but it just seems more logical to invert.  I am, and will, keep trying however.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

If I ended up on a boat with someone diving inverted kit I'd pretend to get my coat and slip off the other side and do a solo...

Is it really DIR to invert...I don't know, I'm not DIR and if it is DIR...then you can...

Graham

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Feb. 28 2004,19:45)]Why invert anyway...?

Also, why have D rings on your rear cylinders, especially so if inverted?

Just asking...

Graham
Graham

I have D-rings on my cylinders so I can clip the bottom of stage too. That said I don't bother with the invert. My rig is slightly strange as I don't bother with an isolator - another mode of failure, and I can reach the valves to switch them off as required and practice the skill regular.

gareth

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Gareth,

What size are your side slings..and what does left and right do...as in your gas?

Sorry to be a pest...but if you clip the side mounts of your D ring on your twins where do you clip the neck off...waist D ring?

You'd have to clip your reels off on the backplate??? But if you have 2 sidies...reaching reels is not easy...you have 2 reels and by touch/feel you know which is which?

I'm not critising in anyway...please don't take it that way...I really would like to know how you config your gear.

Cheers.

Graham

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Feb. 28 2004,20:31)]
If I ended up on a boat with someone diving inverted kit I'd pretend to get my coat and slip off the other side and do a solo...
It must be cold living in a glass house.

Bouyancy problems, ankle weights, zeagle wing, console, retracting lanyard thing for your wing dump, no drysuit experience.  I'd ask you to sneak off and do a solo dive as well, after i'd got your advice on how my stages should be set up.  

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Feb. 28 2004,21:09)]Bouyancy problems, ankle weights, zeagle wing, console, retracting lanyard thing for your wing dump, no drysuit experience.
I'd sooner go back to freediving

1 - 20 of 34 Posts