YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm rather new to this photography bit and have a fuji f30. This is just a few pics - can't wait to get more practice.

We were diving from the Madog hardboat and had a cracking weekend. Unfortunately, the wind blew up and stirred up the visibility and made the choice of dive sites very limited. I didn't take my camera in for the first two dives as I thought the poor visibility would make it pointless. However, a diver on the boat showed me the macro pics that he had obtained so I tried it out on the third and last dive. I wish now I had taken it in on the first two dives as well.

It appears that I had the camera on the wrong setting and it is only by virtue of my dive buddy who illuminated the subject with her dive torch that I got any at all. Next time, I shall use my umbilical hid light to illuminate the subject and not use the underwater/macro mode - which disabled the flash.

Lyv

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Some really nice shots there, I think by using the torch (and your buddy) would give better results than just the inbuilt flash (less chance of back scatter).
As Helen said in the other thread, in macro mode (the little flower icon) you will probably have to force the flash to fire (the :lightning: icon (minus the clouds of course)).

Where did you sail from? Was it solely a diving trip? Reason I'm asking is I can bloody see the IOM on a clear day from the seafront here. So near, yet so far! :angry:

Anyway, nice pics, get practicing, and keep hold of that buddy! Some really good effects with that torch.

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Lyvia,

I'd be the other diver with the camera :)

I don't often check up on YD, but I did today and an IoM thread caught my eye..

Those photos look good, there is a real sense of 'frozen movement' to a couple of them.

copperband - yes it was a dive trip, liveaboard in fact, Sailing from Liverpool.

Iain C.

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Ian,

Yes, good to hear from you. I do visit the yd site most days..... that's what comes of not having much to do. He he he.

Look forward to being on a trip with you guys again.

Bye for now

Lyv

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Any idea on the costs? I see a booking form on the website but no idea on the wonga!

I can fly return from Blackpool for £60 but gonna struggle taking much in the way of baggage I feel. Car and boat from Heysham to Douglas is £172.00 :eek:

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

We paid £160 each which included an air fill, food, 2 nights on board and diving from the rib.

Lyv

·
Fine Upstanding Member
192 Posts
Try this link
Welcome to Isle of Man Diving Holidays

The man is Mike Keggan, and he runs a 10m rib out of Port St Mary. He has top class accommodation is is a top class skipper.

Sail from Liverpool on the Seacat, it takes two and a half hours, then 20 minutes to Port St Mary. We managed 8 people in a van (for the kit) and a people carrier (for the people no less) and the return cost was about £70 each. Mike charges about 15 quid a dive (2 a day) and the accomm is about £30 in a fantastic 5 bedroomed house with a fridge bursting with breakfast frying materials.

Well recommended.

Tim Saville

·
Registered
39 Posts
And I organised the trip - the diveboat website is: MV Madog Dive Charter Vessel - dive and fishing trips to the Irish Sea, IOM, Ireland, Wales and Scotland

I have used this boat now for 3 years and keep going back. Weather was rubbish this trip however (mmm, met not doing so well at the mo for accurate forecasts!) we did manage to get 3 potter dives in, better than nothing!

However on a serious note, 2 people on the trip cancelled their payment on their return :angry: . Their list of ridiculous complaints has been answered (including the accusation that we did not do the 'promised' good diving on the IOM - IT WAS A F6 EASTERELY!!!!) I have never known UK divers to be so unbelievable. I have issued a demand for payment. I have always trusted UK divers and preferred to act in good faith and trust that a part deposit is indicitive of full payment later. However I would urge all of you to BEWARE. not all UK divers are trustworthy as I have just found out. If these divers fail to make payment I will not hesitate to name and shame to warn everyone on YD, to prevent this happening to them too!!

Apart from them, great trip though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts