YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has never been a happy relationship the three years they have been together.

OK the first bulb was down to my early Proteus 10W head not having the spacer so you could 'focus' the bulb into the glass and then some. Failed on the first dive.

We don't count the second bulb as they swapped it. It was in a bag with the right label but it was twice a big. Pity I'd just got it before I got on a plane and paid the excess baggage to take it all to Finland only to discover that that wasn't going in the water that trip.

The next bulb died off the north of Ireland but at least it dived the Laurentic with me. It's nice to have a White Star liner in the book even if it was totally trashed by the Navy recovering a lot of yellow bricks belonging to HMG.

Then there was the intermittent cable. I suppose it was my fault but something must have damaged the cable and it went all intermittent. Move it and it went out. Back to then supplier.

It's done about three dives in three years where it worked and last time out it decided to play only staying on for 30 seconds. I got home and checked the battery. Full. Put it on load. Masses. Tried the torch. 30 seconds and out.

I took it to pieces, cleaned everything and it is now burn testing pointing at the wall next to the computer. It is out of the water and well away from the YBOD so I expect it to work. What do I have to do to the thing to make it stay like that? Does anybody have a good exorcist they can recommend?

·
bored
2,308 Posts
When I bought my YBOD, the guy next to us in dotty car park had a Halcyon canister torch, with a lamp head suitable for gold fish.
On its first trip out!
Maybe even local proximity of a (non dir) rebreather is enough for the gear to suicide?:embarassed:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does your halcyon torch hate you?

I don't know.

However, when I dived with you 2 weeks ago I just assumed you liked the atmosphere of the wreck and wanted to just look at it in the ambient light. I figured if that was the case I'd ruin your dive by turning my torch on and shining it everywhere, so in true British good mannered sense I tried to use mine as little as possible.

In retrospect that was probably really irritating for you.

And of course, because you also have good manners you decided against asking why on earth I had a perfectly good torch I rarely used.

Ho hum. you live and learn!

Rich

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
However, when I dived with you 2 weeks ago I just assumed you liked the atmosphere of the wreck and wanted to just look at it in the ambient light. I figured if that was the case I'd ruin your dive by turning my torch on and shining it everywhere, so in true British good mannered sense I tried to use mine as little as possible.
ROTFL!

An archaeologist who likes the atmosphere of ambient light?

You really do need more helium in your mix...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts