YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I organised a trip to Weymouth this weekend. The weather was nice, the boat is one of the best ones in Weymouth, the viz was a bit average, but I think everyone who came along had a good time. So why am I think that this may well be the last year that I organise trips?

Well, in a nutshell, someone on YD said they wanted to come along, but didn't send any money, didn't turn up and on investigation they don't seem to have logged on in the last month. So I'm out of pocket. Again. And it's all very well saying that I should have asked for the money earlier, but people seem to be leaving it later and later to put their names down. I didn't have a full boat until 3 weeks before.

On a similar note, I've got a trip organised out of Eastbourne for June, again on a good boat, some good wrecks planned. I've got one other person confirmed as coming.

Maybe people really do just want to do the same old stuff on shuttle boats week in and week out. Seems a shame though.

Jason

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask for a deposit with any booking. That's what I do. Am diving out of Weymouth this weekend- full boat too. But then again that is mainly cos I'm handsome and am buying pasties.
It doesn't help when it's 3 weeks before the trip. I asked for the full amount. Didn't get it and didn't have time to fill the space.

Jason

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
That's a bugger. However I make it clear when I advertise the trip that "the boat charter cost is shared by however many turn up- if it's a full boat of 12 then it will be £x per person".

Then again it's probably best not to fill a boat with Internet weirdos. Best to fill it with people you know.

·
TTFN
1,757 Posts
Sorry you got your fingers burnt Jason. It doesn't help anybody if the people who stick their necks out and commit to a whole weekend charter are getting ripped off. I think in your position some name and shame wouldn't be out of order.

Some skippers are better than others at filling up charters last minute from the pool of local divers - that creates a win win situation for both the charterer and us locals :)

BTW I realise that I am one of the worst 'offenders' when it comes to not booking in advance but snapping up places last minute when I can see conditions are good (how wrong I was this weekend :D).

That's a bugger. However I make it clear when I advertise the trip that "the boat charter cost is shared by however many turn up- if it's a full boat of 12 then it will be £x per person".
I am fairly sure that is a good way of putting people of signing up in the early days, certainly in my position as a non-wealthy punter I don't sign up to those sort of trips because it is almost a blank cheque you are writing.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Trips

I am arranging only two trips this year-St Abbs and Lyme Regis. I have a simple arrangement in that I make a provisional booking months in advance, advertise and if not filled with deposits taken, inside two weeks I cancel the trip.

I have not had to cancel a trip so far
Noone has ever let me down on payment
I don't arrange 40+m, trimix trips as these are very hard to fill via the internet e.g. my Swanage weekend last September was a right pain to fill.

It would be nice if other people took the trouble to arrange some trips and invite me along, such as the wonderful Dave_S :thumbs_up:. As for 2011 we will have to wait and see. :)

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
I'm really disappointed to hear that Jason,
and a bit pi$$ed off :mad:

It takes effort, time and trust organising dive trips and it can be a thankless task, which is why I made a point of thanking you :angel: ..... so I find it very annoying that one inconsiderate person can, effectively, ruin it for the rest of us by causing someone like yourself, who regularly organises good trips, to give it up

I don't think it's fair that you should be out of pocket and I would not be surprised if, having failed in getting any response from the offender, you named and shamed.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
I've organised loads of trips over the years but will be taking a bit of a backseat this year as i've changed my work and social life, so something has to give during the transition period.

I've also been caught out a few times with people not paying etc, and as a result i've paid the difference so the skipper isn't left short. We've also had trouble filling trips this year to Scapa. Fortunately we've now filled those spaces with some divers coming over from South Africa! The only advantage of organising your own trip, is that you get to choose what and where you dive!

I've booked on a few trips with other like minded people, so hopefully we'll have some good trips.

Good luck and i hope you fill your spaces,

Steve

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
as Steve I organised trips for 25 years from Norway, Shetland, Scapa, Lundy and the Scillys often having people pull out at the last minute

On the Norway trip I had one person pull out a week prior to sailing refusing to pay the balance of £430

I dont know but it always appeared to be a lot easier years ago knowing full well I had 2 thirds of a boat full before even broadcasting the trip with regulars

As Dynarob I just jump on others trips its a lot easier, dive on my own

If you book on a trip your word is your bond, you have a comittment and you pay up or find a replacement

Name and shame

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
You book you pay or you say your a maybe and sit on the reserve bench. Any thing else is totally unacceptable.

I have never done a gig with people i don't know but if i did it would be 50% deposit up front and everyone aware that the people on the boat on the day split the balance until funds are recovered.

Id name and shame and id go to the small claims if someone attempted to shaft me for the money.

ATB

Mark

Reactions: Divingminxsy

·
Registered
878 Posts
Jason,

Some of us really appreciate the trips you organise. It's not fair on you to be out of pocket and I think most people wouldn't have a problem splitting the boat cost, rather than letting you foot the bill. It's a shame that unreliable people are making you feel like not organising future trips, and maybe 'unknowns' should be asked to pay up front?

Ellie

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I ended up shelling out £140 a couple of weekends back (boat & accomodation) as I agreed to do a diving trip but had to cry off due to a cold. Rather that than get a rep for not paying my corner. Shame - I was insured on an annual travel insurance policy last year which would have covered the cost, but not this year.

I got hacked off with organising trips last year for the club - I made efforts to balance fun diving with peoples training needs and instructor availability, organised the club boat. Most other folsk idea of organising a dive was - me and my buddy are off to dive x on boat y. If you phone up quick you might get a space too.

We've got a trip out of Salcome the weekend after the bank holiday - diving Main, Persier, Newholme and something else. The chap organising it got a per head rate so he's not out of pocket if the numbers are not there. In fact I think there are some spaces. I might see if he's OK for me to offer them on here, or if he is holding on to them for folk to make up their minds at the last minute.

·
Not many Mackerel but all a good size
1,298 Posts
It would be nice if other people took the trouble to arrange some trips and invite me along, such as the wonderful Dave_S . As for 2011 we will have to wait and see.

Ian

When I get back from Thailand you will get an invite or two from me.

Its only the club rib (based at Newhaven) I'm afraid so no microwave.

We can do the Alaunia, Oceana, TR Thompson, Ashford and such like.

None of this booking nonsense.

Dave

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
I ended up shelling out £140 a couple of weekends back (boat & accomodation) as I agreed to do a diving trip but had to cry off due to a cold. Rather that than get a rep for not paying my corner. Shame - I was insured on an annual travel insurance policy last year which would have covered the cost, but not this year.

I got hacked off with organising trips last year for the club - I made efforts to balance fun diving with peoples training needs and instructor availability, organised the club boat. Most other folsk idea of organising a dive was - me and my buddy are off to dive x on boat y. If you phone up quick you might get a space too.

We've got a trip out of Salcome the weekend after the bank holiday - diving Main, Persier, Newholme and something else. The chap organising it got a per head rate so he's not out of pocket if the numbers are not there. In fact I think there are some spaces. I might see if he's OK for me to offer them on here, or if he is holding on to them for folk to make up their minds at the last minute.
I know the feeling, I had thirty plus years with the same club?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts