YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an ominous problem with my Vyper.

Dive 1, all OK.

Dive 2, noticed at the start of the dive the dive time was seemingly continuing from where it first got in this morning so 200+ minutes. Guiding with a group so simply timed on watch. At depth all was correct on it. On shallowing the depth was overreading by near 8m. Exiting the water the computer was still at 5.6m and a dive time of 250 minutes and continuing.

On the drive back it descended to 7.5m and still dived, eventually getting into deco in the rinse tank.

Ive taken the battery out, waited an hour, replaced with a brand new battery and when i turn it on its showing 38m deep and straight into dive mode even when completely dry on land.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to what to try (other than leaving battery out overnight which im going to do). ?

Or has anyone had this issue before and is the computer dead?

Worst case if i have to replace it, what do i replace it with? Can you even buy Vypers any more? I need a gauge mode and really dont want an irritating compass in the middle of the display or air integrated.

·
Doing it wrong since '94
418 Posts
Sounds like the pressure transducer or its signal conditioning has started to drift - usually terminal failure of a component or chip I'm afraid. Nikgel Hewit may be able to help with a bit more advice as I believe he designs and makes instrumentation and may have a few pointers.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feared as much. Bad news as i need a computer daily to actually work so might actually have to buy one here as cant afford to be without. And get it to Suunto in a few months when someone can collect it for me.

So far then its been a D8R torch flood, a lost SL6, lost spool, lost slate, leaking drysuit, broken wing inflator and now this!

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
my cobra 2 did that ,,, dead ,, 90 quids and suunto replaced it with a brand new cobra 3 ,,, so its not all bad news , sounds like its dead , but suunto will look after you. hth

·
Ultimate Planner
1,316 Posts
I have an old Uwatec Aladin Pro (model 1994). In 2008 it started to display wrong depth (-2.5 meters per 40 meters). I stopped using it and switched completely to the Vyper. This year I tried to compare it to the Vyper's readings and it displayed absolute crap.

Anyway, if you want a good budget piece of equipment, go for the Gekko.

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
pressure sensor needs replacing. Send it back to suunto (sure someone will have said but didn't read thread :D) they are very helpful

·
probably just mental
2,399 Posts
My viper's not well (although according to YD can be resuscitated :) yay) and I have been investigating the alternatives. It seems Vipers are still around as I found some new ones for sale. It has been replaced by the Vyper air which you can air intergrate if you want or you can move up to the Vytec which gas switches - or even the helo.
Suzie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts