YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trapped in America by an Icelandic volcano, I had time to spend with some of the icons of the diving industry. One suggested to me that our pastime was dying.
Divers are getting older and eventually passing on. Children do not think it cool to take up the hobbies of their parents and scuba-diving is too demanding in the way of commitment because of the training needed. There are plenty of other activities that need one only to 'have a go'. Therefore the diving population is in decline.
You may think this a good thing. Fewer divers at dive sites and an elite view of what we do may be thought of as good.
What is the downside? We need a volume market to keep the costs attainable. Jacques Cousteau may have been a pioneer but he needed to supply his own facilities including an ex-Navy minesweeper, and he required the financial backing of a film production company to supply the capital so that he could go diving.
What do you think?

·
Registered
149 Posts
No. It's diving.

I know you're old BJ, but I think you've logged into the wrong forum!

Janos
I don't see any evidence that it is. Plenty of new divers are walking through the doors for their entry level courses despite the recession and the percentage getting hooked seems stable. The large manufacturers are clearly still making enough money to find r&d and being out new products. I see some clubs whithering but the vibrant ones still seem able to attract members. What's the evidence?

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Talking to TerryH on Saturday evening and he was telling me of the massive number of students he and his team have trained so far this year (over 50) through the university club. I'd suggest figures like that bode well for the industry

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts
Talking to TerryH on Saturday evening and he was telling me of the massive number of students he and his team have trained so far this year (over 50) through the university club. I'd suggest figures like that bode well for the industry
And then I spoke to 4 universaties this easter that all struggled to get enough number to join the club this year and were finding it hard to keep the clubs running due to lack of numbers........

My personal view is were in a rescseion and it an expensive "luxuary" hobby, give it a few years let the world get back on it's feet and there will be a large rise in the number of people starting to dive and in those returning

Fin

·
Not many Mackerel but all a good size
1,298 Posts
There aren't enough young fellas coming thro. No one wants any responsibility or wants to get involved. Its becoming very dumbed down. New divers just want to pay on the door and be guided.

It used to be that the membership were much more adventurous. Todays diver thinks he is breaking new ground if his hose is a non standard length!

It used to be that divers all aspired to running their own boats and arranging expeditions to unknown areas.

Now its merely booking a holiday to Sharm.

When the oldens are gone the light will go out.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi John,

Given the day, I've changed the title of the thread. Hope you understand and are ok with that?

Reactions: frosty the snowman

·
Bones
820 Posts
No - I don't think it's on the decline, I am a 19yr old OWSI and Advanced Rec Trimix diver, i would say i have spent quite a bit of time learning all the theory, and it has been a big commitment. Most of the people i dive with are a lot older than me, but i have taught quite a few younger people to dive recently.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
It's not declining, it's changing. I think a lot of the adventure has gone out of it, I remember when I started diving in the early 90's there were some really exciting projects going on around the world. I don't just mean deep diving, even on the club-type level there were always reports of some very challenging expeditions going on, people going halfway round the world in a RIB and a wetsuit to dive. Maybe it's just not reported so much now but I don't think you see as much of that. I certainly think that people's attitudes have changed and we've risk assessed the crap out of what was ostensibly quite a safe sport to start with. Every jolly is an expedition syndrome.

Or maybe I'm just pissed off at being back to work today? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
857 Posts
And then I spoke to 4 universaties this easter that all struggled to get enough number to join the club this year and were finding it hard to keep the clubs running due to lack of numbers........

My personal view is were in a rescseion and it an expensive "luxuary" hobby, give it a few years let the world get back on it's feet and there will be a large rise in the number of people starting to dive and in those returning

Fin
I know of Surrey, Glasgow and edinburgh Uni clubs which are all doing well, lots of diving .........normally its not the numbers of divers in the club that is the issue its the number of instructors.........

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
No - I don't think it's on the decline, I am a 19yr old OWSI and Advanced Rec Trimix diver, i would say i have spent quite a bit of time learning all the theory, and it has been a big commitment. Most of the people i dive with are a lot older than me, but i have taught quite a few younger people to dive recently.
*cough* :eek:

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Maybe it's just not reported so much now but I don't think you see as much of that. I certainly think that people's attitudes have changed and we've risk assessed the crap out of what was ostensibly quite a safe sport to start with.
sometimes it can be quite difficult to get enough drive form people for an expedition. I get the feeling in some clubs they prefer a PADI like structure with everything laid on for them with very little effort from the individual divers. I know from arrangeing a program of diving with my club, trying to find people to run the days out is next to impossible. Many times its a case of doing what they know rather than having a sense of adventure.

·
King of Hurghada
158 Posts
I know what you mean. And I could buy the theory. Just the number of students who actually makes it through the Open Water course but then never send their PICs off to be processed would speak for your point. However, there are so many new divers coming out here (Egypt) to dive all the time. Some of them trained in warm countries like Egypt, Thailand and so on but also young BSAC or CMAS divers trained in Europe. Maybe the sport is not exploding in popularity as it was 10-15 years ago but it is still increasing. And what I really like is that the girls are stepping in, and up. Nowadays we have boats going out with almost 50/50 which is nice.

.......a.......

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
I reckon it's changing, not dying.

It get's hard to be groundbreaking once most of the new grounds have been broken, so even for technical divers the dives are about pushing your own personal boundaries, not the sports boundaries.

For example, people have gone so deep on air (150 odd meters) the risk entailed in trying to match that is very high. Once you could take risks to break new ground and set records. Now you have to risk your life so much more just to get close to the record, not even doing something someone else hasn't already done.

It's the same with technical diving, using Tri-mix or rebreathers is progression of your own boundaries, they are not new to recreational diving and you can't start now and be a pioneer.

On the flip side everything is more accessible. Everyone knows someone with a PADI qualification that they got in Egypt or Thailand, more recreational divers are now moving to twin-sets then before, more twin-set divers are switching to rebreathers then before, Poseidon are bringing rebreathers to the recreational market.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I know what you mean. And I could buy the theory. Just the number of students who actually makes it through the Open Water course but then never send their PICs off to be processed would speak for your point. However, there are so many new divers coming out here (Egypt) to dive all the time. Some of them trained in warm countries like Egypt, Thailand and so on but also young BSAC or CMAS divers trained in Europe. Maybe the sport is not exploding in popularity as it was 10-15 years ago but it is still increasing. And what I really like is that the girls are stepping in, and up. Nowadays we have boats going out with almost 50/50 which is nice.

.......a.......
Then do what we do - make it easy for them and have the dive centre send them off. All our PIC's are sent by the dive centre, many of the cert cards are returned to the dive centre, which gives the ideal opportunity for marketing the next course, and the club to the students, keeping them interested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts