YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This has probably been covered before, but thought I'd raise the question again.

Has anyone got any general tips for reaching cylinder valves (centre tap's not a problem, as I've fitted a remote to this). I find it very difficult to reach my valves on my twin 10's.

Any suggestions about improving arm flexibility?

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Richard - how do you find the slob knob?? - does it get in thr way etc etc. I am having the same probs with all valves !!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I had a problem with it when it was first fitted. Originally it was fitted so that the hose came up over my shoulder, and I found to be a real PITA, as well as a potential tangle hazard. I had it changed so it now points down. The hose runs so it now comes under my right arm and is held in place in a velcro loop I have on my BC. I now have no problems reaching it & turning off the centre tap.

It's the other 2 that I need to perfect now!

HTH

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Keep your elbow as close to your head as possible - resist the temptation to stick your elbow out.

Make sure you can still reach the central knob, as slob knobs HAVE been known to fail.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Glad your not bowing to pressure and have opted for the slob knob. Fact is even if you cant get to the two remaining valves if you have gas planned properly the gas in the single working cylinder should get you home.

That said:

Reaching the left and right valve has not been a problem for me just a bit slow. I relese my waste band and use the oposing hand to push the twin set up and tawards the ofending valve. The other hand can then reech the valve.

I can do this OK and in reasnoble time but if you cant things that will help are:

Extended rubber knobs (From Portland Ocienering in Portland)
A Valve Cage (from just about anywhere but CD one is my recommendation.)

The long knobs are an advantage and the cage alowes you somthing to grap on to and pull the tanks into a working position.

My M8 used THREE slob knobs to compleat his Trimix COurse. The examiner was not amused but could not argue. You might think he (and his girlfreind) have just been INVITED to join one of the top trimix groups in the UK today.

Mind you he has lost two of the three slob knobs since the trimix course.

All the best

Mark Chase

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

You could always turn them the right way up and you'd easily reach them then!Hobby.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

RN invert styl-ee Hobby ? yes...must investigate that when I've more time for playing around, deffo need at least one new longer hose first though.
£ x slob knobs = 3X ~£90 = £270, blimey, is your mate made of money Mark?

Richard - I've got twin 10s too, could reach the valves recently but the trim is all wrong (top-heavy) so gonna have to play around with that a bit more in future. I've got CD valve protectors which I found useful 'cos it helps you pull the tanks up a bit.
BTW - I sent you an e-mail about the pony reg recently, did you receive it? I basically said if the 1st stage is din fitting, I'll take it, let me know.
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

I think I might put extended rubber knobs on the valves for starters. Valve protectors an option for the future.

We were talking at the weekend about inverting twins sets - Any tips?

Steve - haven't received your email. However, the first stage is A clamp only, so I assume you won't be interested.

(Edited by Richard Greenwood at 7:27 pm on Jan. 20, 2003)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think I might put extended rubber knobs on the valves for starters.
<span =''>
This is pure hearsay - but I have heard that some varieties of rubber knob will strip their threads easily and therefore just rotate on the spindle without turning it.

Apparently there are also some rubber knobs with metal on the inside that stop this happening. Might be worth looking in to..

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the info Dominic, didn't realise this might be the case.

To go back to the original question, has anyone tried any stretching/flexibility techniques and if so what are they?

This inability to do shutdowns is really starting to bug me, as I know if I want to go on to do trimix then I really ought to be able to do this drill.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Richard,

Not seen you in a while mate.. anyway, I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I'm in the same boat as you i.e. not being able to progress with my training until I can perform shutdowns, but I'm 99.99% certain that my problems lay in the fact that my suit is drammatically reducing my movement, its too tight/short and will not allow my arms to rotate back to the necessary postiion.... old suit is being sold, new suit is being purchased... ####! ####! and double ####! but hey that's life..

Ok, so do you feel that you canot isolate due to lack of natural flexability or could it be like me a restrictive suit?

Have you tried it in a pool without the drysuit?

Have you been able to try it with a borrowed oversize suit?

Just lately I'vve been watching quite a few people running through shutdowns on Trimix courses and other events I've seen a lot of people loosen the harness and slide the cylinders up higher to reach, not the best method but whatever works works right?

I hope you find a way Rich, I'm hoping to dive with a big borrowed suit this weekend so I'll report back later

regards
Dave.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hey, next time you're in Sussex Dave, borrow my suit to try shutdowns. I'm 6'4" and it's reasonably baggy so you'd have no restriction problems

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Richard, I think Daves idea of trying the rig in the pool is a good one, I'm planning to do that myself soon too. Have you considered inverting your twins in RN style? I've been considering that option as well, I think Hobby dives like this too.
Chee-az
Steve
Re the reg, yeah, I'm really sold on the DIN fittings now, would make a bargain for one of our new divers though  

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

I've been in a pool without drysuit & had no problems reaching the valves. The suit I use is one I bought off a friend who is the same height and build as me. He had it made especially with more material in it for this precise reason.

I think my problem is lack of flexibility, and I'll just have to keep practicing & practicing. One of my regular buddies has the same problem, and he's seriously considering inverting his tanks. If it works for him I think I'll possibly do the same.

Steve, let me know if you can think of any takers for the pony valve.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

You could try that stretching excercise I suppose - one arm over the shoulder pointing down, one arm underfacing up with fingers interlocked. Problem is it may take some time to produce results and you'd have to keep practicing or you'd be back to square one PDQ.
Going back to the days of my youth when I did karate, our "Sensei" told us we should be doing stretching excercises twice a day for no less than half an hour. This is fine for those who are "creatures of habit" but I don't know if that's be good for everyone
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

This mite sound daft!! Try before you reach behind your head to reach out forwards as for as you can, then with your arm still straight (as poss) bring it over your head and behind you (reaching forward with both arms first, then behind with only one in a dry-bag works better). While you are sitting there now try first to reach down your back with out stretching forward then again with You can reach a good 2’’ more Yes..??..

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Richard if you can reach the valves in the pool but not in the drybag would this not indicate that even though you feel the suit should be big enough it actually isn't and is actually restricting your movements.. just a thought.

shades suggestion is also a good one for getting that extra reach, it's what I tried and it definitely gave me more strectch in the suit, just not enough I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Something that might be getting overlooked:
You say the drysuit was made to be flexible enough to do shutdowns.
What about the undersuit?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

Could be the undersuit. I use an Otter Skin, and the undersuit is the one that comes as part of the package (although I bought it seperatly having a second hand suit).

Maybe I'll also look at alternatives.

Dave - the suit looks massive on me and it's not very flattering!

Thanks for the continued suggestions.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

Sorry, double post.

Internet connection bombed on me last night.

(Edited by Richard Greenwood at 1:04 pm on Jan. 22, 2003)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts