YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laptop has been getting more and more slow/freezing etc. It wouldn't let me defragment due to come corrupted files and I've downloaded loads of programs etc which I've then deleted and generally filled it up with junk. Anyway I thought the solution would be reformat and re-install XP, a shiney "as new" HD just waiting for me to fill it with junk again. I dutyfully backed everything up onto my external HD and then commenced.

I was feeling very smug after changing settings in the BIOS, working out which format it is in (NTFS) and wiping the HD then re-installing XP. I also re-installed all the drivers disks etc which it came with. Everything was going swimmingly, nice and fast again with no freezing when I noticed something missing. No sound. When I go into the control panel it says "no audio device".

How do I get sound back again? (particularly as I want to re-install itunes which is what finally took it over the edge last time).

I would appreciate any thoughts. :teeth:

Mary

·
Registered
288 Posts
My money is on you havent installed the drivers for your sound card. If you know exactly what one it is then go to their website and you can generally download the driver from the site and install that way rather than searching thro your drver cd's.

Chris Middleton
aka student guy

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My money is on you havent installed the drivers for your sound card. If you know exactly what one it is then go to their website and you can generally download the driver from the site and install that way rather than searching thro your drver cd's.

Chris Middleton
aka student guy
As Chris says..

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Same as the others, best to go onto the web site for the manufacturer of the laptop, search for the model, there will be a link to downloads/drivers somewhere. Find the audio driver download it and follow the instructions.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was feeling very smug after changing settings in the BIOS
As the chaps above have said, first port of call should be manufacturers website, but it is also possible that you have disabled the sound card (or a sub-component) in the BIOS.

cheers,
Paul

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
As the chaps above have said, first port of call should be manufacturers website, but it is also possible that you have disabled the sound card (or a sub-component) in the BIOS.

cheers,
Paul
Yep if you've put the support discs in the drivers should be on.... this is one to check if you've been 'dabbling' in the bios...apart from the comments above there isnt really anything it could be..

Good luck with it

Adam

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I changed in Bios is where the order of where it looks during booting up ie to CD-RW/DVD drive so that it would reload XP from the disk.

No idea what sound card it has.... how do I find out?

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Can be problematic to do. Google's your best bet - search the manufacturer, model number and "sound card". Alternatively, f you have the original driver CD it should have come with, there will be a sound driver on that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The only thing I changed in Bios is where the order of where it looks during booting up ie to CD-RW/DVD drive so that it would reload XP from the disk.

No idea what sound card it has.... how do I find out?
Just go to the manufacturers (of the laptop) web site and select your model from there, otherwise it can be a complete nightmare.

Danny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts