YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. Have converted one of Dr Duncan's D5 sidemount rebreathers to a backmount and it was worryingly simple. Here's a little tour...

So. My design spec was something I could lob on a standard backplate with 11" holes just like a normal twinset. And that I can. The RB bits are mounted to a back-to-front ally backplate I had knocking about with a Frog single tank wing sandwiched in between.

Here's the view from the right. Dil and O2 add on the pushbutton block with a needle and ball valve on a seperate line. Hoses come in on the right hip and go up the right shoulder strap. All jolly neat and tidy. O2 gauge on the right too.

And the view from the left. Dil feed goes from the cyl behing my arse to the dosing block. Wing feed is an octopus length hose with a Scubapro reg to wing inflator adapter- dead handy for making up custom lenght hoses. Displays are driven by 2 standard Inspo R22 cells into a P-port on the counterlung with a folding holder. Displays are completely independent Dave Mager jobbies in clear tubes, magnetically activated.

Here's the back view. The long black tube has the counterlung case in teh top half and the scrubber in the bottom half, a bit like an RB80 but cheaper cos it's made from an army rocket tube and a kitchen extractor pipe.

From the top you can see the exhale (black elbow) and inhale (red elbow) with the O2 and Dil feeds going into the exhale side. The exhaled gas goes down the inside of the counterlung case, through the middle fo the scrubber then back up through the lime, all 5kg odd of it. Bog standard diving hoses used throughout.

The displays are a temporary unit till I get something fancier sorted. On-off is done by sliding the big black mount on the left over the displays which also handily protect the plastic from getting scratched.

So. First trial of it back mounted in the pool tomorrow. CL is set quite low so it should be about level with my gob if I'm a bit head up. Have tried it sidemounted in Stoney which worked fine but a bit Hamster Cheeks.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
That's a great name for a rebreather.
Do you mind if we start a poll on how long you're going to live?

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Well done Woz, it looks the part. That's what I call a 'home build'. Take a home build breather, add a few bit, modifiy it a bit and turn it into a different sort of breather at you home - excellent.

I hope the WOB is OK. Unless of course you were thinking of being a bit head up, and feet down and not having 'perfect' trim :)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D

Very good, and with one Steel and one Ali, you'll be swimming in circles... Will you me carrying bailout?
Bail what?

Yes. I have a stage cyl I'll be using for bailout while I am playing. One ally one steel as that's what I had handy. Would prefer 2 steels.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Very good, and with one Steel and one Ali, you'll be swimming in circles... Will you me carrying bailout?
Dave, I heard that this was intentional, he was clipping his negative steel bail out tank to the same side as the buoyant ali O2 bottle to balance out the sideways trim.
Wasn't that the plan Woz :)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave, I heard that this was intentional, he was clipping his negative steel bail out tank to the same side as the buoyant ali O2 bottle to balance out the sideways trim.
Ummmmmm yes. Of course. Ahem.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Yeh right, You berk... :D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Look in next week Folks

:thumbs_up: For another thrilling instalment of Blight Rider Saring WOZ Hasslehoof and his underwater buddy Kit Bang crash walop. :teeth: Spot on woz thats wat it's all about having fun.:spliff:

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Suddenly Digs is looking like a consumate dive professional :eek: Could you get a few more snoopyloops in there mate - I only counted 426 :D

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
why only the 2 PPO2 monitors? is there room for another?

any thoughts on a BOV.
What do you need 3 for? The only reason that there are 3 in eCCR is so the electronics can do the voting thing. However my brain is quite good at voting so as long as I do a dil flush occasionally to check they are both doing what they should do then that's fine by me.

And when I can lash out on a VR3 there is another P port to plumb it into giving me 3 displays anyway.

BOV's are for puffs. What's wrong with a necklaced reg? With 5kg of lime in there, more than just about any other rebreather (an Azimuth has 2kg for example) scrubber breakthrough will be rare. Then again the lime that's in there has been in there for aaaaaaaaaages so must be worth a change sometime soon. At least after the next hour or so I reckon.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Can I have the pork pie collection when it all goes horribly wrong mate? :D

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Sod the pork pies, can I have your umbilical torch please?

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can I have the pork pie collection when it all goes horribly wrong mate? :D
So let me get this right you are leaving the Koh-i-nor diamond, the ruby encrusted crown and the solid gold sceptre and would prefer the collection of manky pies in the bottom of the freezer?

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
You can keep all that Elizabeth Duke at Argos tat - gimmee the pies bigboy

1 - 20 of 42 Posts