YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. Have converted one of Dr Duncan's D5 sidemount rebreathers to a backmount and it was worryingly simple. Here's a little tour...

So. My design spec was something I could lob on a standard backplate with 11" holes just like a normal twinset. And that I can. The RB bits are mounted to a back-to-front ally backplate I had knocking about with a Frog single tank wing sandwiched in between.

Here's the view from the right. Dil and O2 add on the pushbutton block with a needle and ball valve on a seperate line. Hoses come in on the right hip and go up the right shoulder strap. All jolly neat and tidy. O2 gauge on the right too.

And the view from the left. Dil feed goes from the cyl behind my arse to the dosing block. Wing feed is an octopus length hose with a Scubapro reg to wing inflator adapter- dead handy for making up custom length hoses. Displays are driven by 2 standard Inspo R22 cells into a P-port on the counterlung with a folding holder. Displays are completely independent Dave Mager jobbies in clear tubes, magnetically activated.

Here's the back view. The long black tube has the counterlung case in the top half and the scrubber in the bottom half, a bit like an RB80 but cheaper cos it's made from an army rocket tube and a kitchen extractor pipe.

From the top you can see the exhale (black elbow) and inhale (red elbow) with the O2 and Dil feeds going into the exhale side. The exhaled gas goes down the inside of the counterlung case, through the middle fo the scrubber then back up through the lime, all 5kg odd of it. Bog standard diving hoses used throughout.

The displays are a temporary unit till I get something fancier sorted. On-off is done by sliding the big black mount on the left over the displays which also handily protect the plastic from getting scratched.

So. First trial of it back mounted in the pool tomorrow. CL is set quite low so it should be about level with my gob if I'm a bit head up. Have tried it sidemounted in Stoney which worked fine but a bit Hamster Cheeks.

·
Na it can't be that deep
283 Posts

·
Proven ability to roll with it.
2,293 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts