YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello!

I am new to the site, been diving for a couple of years, caught the bug big time, and should have been diving many years ago except for 2 things: saw Jaws when I was 7 (a long time ago!!) and had a bad experience when I try-dived in about (19) 98.  Found myself very out of breath following a teutonic warrior with perfect bouyancy - he flicked to kick and I didn't know.

My point - sea lochs in Scotland (I dive in West of Scotland) are great - warm (er than inland lakes and quarries) and diveable somewhere regardless of the weather. Compare that to St Abbs etc (like them as divesites, just not sure about the wind and the seastate).

Hello to you all

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Pies mate,

Welcome YD and for getting in amongst it straight away.

If you're up for Abbs, keep your eyes peeled for our next trips up that way (keep eyes on Planned Trips and Need A Buddy sections), as it is a firm favourite of the tribe here and we try and do it as regularly as we can.

Cheers,

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Great nickname Pies - particularly you being a weegie! also an Undertones reference.

I was at St Abbs on Monday and had one of the best days diving there in ages. I dive the west too  - both the Clyde and the sea lochs as well as Mull, the Garvellachs and I'll be doing a wee trip to Skye to dive there later this year. - oh and Scapa

People living in England don't know what they're missing - except they do!  

Plenty of West Coast buddy's on the boards including Peter K who is English like me!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Hi Pies,
Yes a pretty good summary there of the pro's and cons of diving different areas.
YD has had it's fair share of blown out dives, as Bren will testify with the first Anglesey trip,luck of the draw sometimes as the second Anglesey bash by all accounts was excellent.

As you mentioned St Abbs, it is subject to rapid change, but generally a phone call before setting off saves a wasted journey.  If it really blows up at St Abb's theres no alternative on that coast. A sickener if you've driven a distance. Granted not the same on the West coast water a little warmerand "usually" some shelter can be found

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pies @ July 22 2003,22:38)]My point - sea lochs in Scotland (I dive in West of Scotland) are great - warm (er than inland lakes and quarries) and diveable somewhere regardless of the weather.
Pies,

Now you`ve done it, my mate Stan from Kilcreggan will be moaning that he can`t get parked at the caves at Loch Long.

But yes you`re right, if the Clyde is bad you can always find something in the Lochs, and they are great to dive at any time

BB

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to the boards pies,

Interesting nickname,  I'm sure there is a story behind it somewhere.

Daz

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Dear all,

Some have asked about the nickname - and yes, there is an interesting history - some time ago, we went to Florida, and were agape at the size of some of the American tourists around - seriously rotunfd people, no strangers to the odd hundredweight of pies - felt it was rude to exclaim "did you see the size of that porker in the electric wheelchair 'cos they can't drag their fat ass around the amusement park without a large burger and gigantic full-fat coke??!!!??" (apologies if I seem somewhat anti-fattist here - I am not really, just agin the morbidly obese...).  Anyway, it seemed appropriate to merely politley mutter one codeword to my beloved (and she to me) - the word being "piiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeees"
Also ref the caves on Loch Long - top dive!! Only problem is the entry and the parking - 3 cars at the absolute max!!

Pies

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Hi Pies
Welcome aboard, get stuck into YD. well I hope you will be organising a trip for us lot to these sea lochs before long, we are all up for it! cheers
jules:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts