YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time was, whenever I took my camera on a dive I'd take loads and loads of photos, and couldn't wait to get home to look at them properly.

Then it reached a stage where I was taking lots of photos but not opening the camera every single time to view the photos - I'd do it maybe every two or three dives.

Now I'm at a point where I've taken my camera in on the last four dives and have only taken two photos, neither of which are worth downloading.

I have wondered if it's because I've got it on auto, and maybe I should set myself the challenge of aperture or shutter priority. But (and herein lies the problem, I think) why bother to struggle with this when the best I can hope for are photos that may or may not be as good as the ones I get in auto?

Also, when I come across a creature, I find myself thinking 'I've already got a photo of one of them' and I move on without taking a shot.

I don't want to stop taking photos as they're starting to get better gradually (framing etc) but I need to shake off this apathy.

Any thoughts/ideas?

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leave the camera at home the next time you go diving.

That way you are guaranteed to see something you want to photograph.

M
Do you know, I had even considered that. But I'd kick myself if I saw something good :)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Get Turbs to pose naked. Get some 'up shorts' shots.

Of course, you could take some other non diving pictures as well?

You aren't doing too bad for someone who had no interest in photography.

Macro/close up can get a bit boring?

In short, where is my 'whole ocean picture' that you promised me?
:)

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get Turbs to pose naked. Get some 'up shorts' shots.

Of course, you could take some other non diving pictures as well?

You aren't doing too bad for someone who had no interest in photography.

Macro/close up can get a bit boring?

In short, where is my 'whole ocean picture' that you promised me?
:)
Ah Finless, I know I owe you a photo. I will get one, I promise, but my WA lens vignettes and blocks my internal flash and I ain't got a strobe. Excuses, I know, but there you are.

I know ought to do some land photography if only for practice, but I have zero interest in it so never, ever have my camera with me unless I'm underwater.

·
23,946 Posts
Ah Finless, I know I owe you a photo. I will get one, I promise, but my WA lens vignettes and blocks my internal flash and I ain't got a strobe. Excuses, I know, but there you are.
Flash and strobe won't help for 'whole ocean'. You need slow shutter speeds.

I know ought to do some land photography if only for practice, but I have zero interest in it so never, ever have my camera with me unless I'm underwater.
I haven't bothered taking any pics for years. Mind you, I am just bored and fed up with everything but you are far too young for such a tarnished soul.

I think your problem is "lack of focus". Do you see what I did there? Cameras? Focus? You don't seem to have any specific photographic aim whilst out diving. Most critters you see you will see on your next dive etc etc? How many blennies, assorted fish and squishy things do you want pictures of?

Oil Paul up and get him posing .............. you'll probably earn some money if you get him shown in "readers' husbands'? :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have wondered if it's because I've got it on auto, and maybe I should set myself the challenge of aperture or shutter priority. But (and herein lies the problem, I think) why bother to struggle with this when the best I can hope for are photos that may or may not be as good as the ones I get in auto?
Because leaving it auto means that you will never learn.

Also, when I come across a creature, I find myself thinking 'I've already got a photo of one of them' and I move on without taking a shot.
Try thinking, 'How can I take a better photo than the one I've already got?'

I don't want to stop taking photos as they're starting to get better gradually (framing etc) but I need to shake off this apathy.
Set yourself a challenge, something like: within the next month (3/6 months) I am going to have one of my photo's blown up, printed out & hanging on the wall in the house.

cheers,
Paul

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Set yourself a challenge, to take the best possible photo of a subject you can.

Perfect Tompot photo would be a good one.

Are you diving with a camera, or diving to take photos? There is a distinct difference:)

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because leaving it auto means that you will never learn.

Try thinking, 'How can I take a better photo than the one I've already got?'

Set yourself a challenge, something like: within the next month (3/6 months) I am going to have one of my photo's blown up, printed out & hanging on the wall in the house.

cheers,
Paul
See, this is all good advice. Half of me wants to take it off auto but doesn't want to risk losing a great shot. But, on the other hand, I'm not taking any shots, great or otherwise, because I can't be arsed.

And if I do happen to get a great shot on manual, at least I can say it really is all my own work.

Right. Projects are what's needed. I'll choose a different subject every dive and restrict my photos to that. Unless a basking shark cruises by on a Jewel Anemone day, of course.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ouch. That's harsh. Poor Paul.

Oh well, it's Paul's fault. He shouldn't allow himself to be talked about like this? :)
He's busy diving to 38m with students at the mo. Being oiled up is a long way from his thoughts, I would hope. :)

·
23,946 Posts
See, this is all good advice. Half of me wants to take it off auto but doesn't want to risk losing a great shot. But, on the other hand, I'm not taking any shots, great or otherwise, because I can't be arsed.

And if I do happen to get a great shot on manual, at least I can say it really is all my own work.

Right. Projects are what's needed. I'll choose a different subject every dive and restrict my photos to that. Unless a basking shark cruises by on a Jewel Anemone day, of course.
OK. Are you taking requests? Lots of wrecks for me please.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you diving with a camera, or diving to take photos? There is a distinct difference:)
Good question. I have no idea. I think I'm probably diving to take photos, which is why I'm getting so frustrated because I'm not taking any. I just can't find anything I want to take a picture of, which is ridiculous because the sea is teeming with stuff.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
You can only take photos of so many blennies. They are totally cute but there's not much challenge there. I'm trying to get atmospheric shots like getting below a bit of wreck and trying to capture the fishies swimming through it with the light above. It's really hard to get right as you get loads of fishes' arses. Also trying to frame people in the shots which makes a change.

Now all I need is a bit of vis.

Having said that, I'll be doing macro tomorrow. Bring on the nudis, they don't swim off at speed.

Or have a go at getting really close to something you don't normally photograph, like a sponge or a coral and see how sharp you can get it. It's amazing how they look when magnified on a computer screen.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts