YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Maltese Pea Cake
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting Jave update reminders each time I start up my laptop. Usually I just close it. But when I do update it says files could not be downloaded. No real big deal and I gather it is partially due to Java not liking Mozilla Firefox.

Question is, do I really need Java and what does it actually do?
Cheers

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,757 Posts
You might need it for some sites although I don't have it on my main PC as I've not needed it yet. Does your account on the PC have administrative rights? What you are experiencing sounds kind of like you not having admin rights. You can always turn off the update check.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If you are not developing Java, you do not need Java on your machine. Poorly written websites sometimes insist on downloading it - but long story short, having C:\Java is a bad idea for non-devs.

Well, that's the advise from Sophos at any rate.

·
The Maltese Pea Cake
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might need it for some sites although I don't have it on my main PC as I've not needed it yet. Does your account on the PC have administrative rights? What you are experiencing sounds kind of like you not having admin rights. You can always turn off the update check.
Thanks, I'll try that
Cheers

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If you are not developing Java, you do not need Java on your machine. Poorly written websites sometimes insist on downloading it - but long story short, having C:\Java is a bad idea for non-devs.

Well, that's the advise from Sophos at any rate.
I develop Java and that is poor advice. Java is required on your machine if you are running any Java programs. If all you are doing is using a web browser then you probably don't need it unless you are running Java apps on the web pages and then you do.
I wouldn't worry about not being able to download it but if you have time give yourself the proper authority to download and install the updates as they are often quite useful.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I develop Java and that is poor advice. Java is required on your machine if you are running any Java programs. If all you are doing is using a web browser then you probably don't need it unless you are running Java apps on the web pages and then you do.
I wouldn't worry about not being able to download it but if you have time give yourself the proper authority to download and install the updates as they are often quite useful.
Whoops - my mistake. Sophos recommend disabling Java in your browser.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts