YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
i borrowed one of the older ones , it was great , and certainly good value for money ,,, i got two halves of a metalsub one given or i would have bought the jmd one. hth

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
£250 + VAT, for the standard charger version (takes 12-16 hours to charge)
And then £30 for a goodman handle on top (if you want one)

A guy I used to dive with had one, he was happy with it. But, it only had about 1hr burn time, so he ended up with a second battery pack.

Nowadays, £500* odd for a halogen with a 2 hour burn time is a bit steep, especially when HID can be picked up for much the same money, especially if you look for a second hand one.

The running costs are a lot better with Halogens, with a new bulb costing about £5 if you go for a super duper white one. A new HID bulb can be ££££

Torch with Std. Charger
Spare battery
Goodman handle
Total - £497 inc. VAT

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
bung a 35 w not a fifty w in it and it would be fine for two dives i think , theres a rumour the will be doing a led version , on a slightl different note , the new oms led canister lamp is awsome. dived with a friend with one ,,,, hid , history. ,,, well heading that way at least .

·
Registered
678 Posts
i used to have one. built like a brick sh1t house, but using yesteryear bulb technology. the future is LED sir.

1 hour burn is a pain on a weekend trip. charging on the land ladies guesthouse. with my green force quadristar P4, i charge before the trip and it does me ALL weekend.

thats my 2 penneth.

regards

jc

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I certainly think that HID will soon be on the way out. LED is definitely the way forward for most.

And it is true that a 35W isn't really noticeably dimmer than a 50W.

I built my own, and just used an overdriven 50W. Was running 14.4v through it, nice and bright once I put a decent bulb in it.

·
Carpe diem,Carpe Nocte,Carpe Cerva,CarpeCrustoleru
972 Posts
Ive seen the JMD stuff and its damn solid!!!
I have also heard they are workgin on an LED module for them... Although i dont see there being a problem in fitting one (various websites you can get eht components from).

As for the end of HID - it will happen - but the penetration and ability to alter focus isnt anywhere near the same as with hid.

And ahem Tom - whats it like when my darkbuster is swimming down teh line of the alastor towards you???? even through the silt you kicked up :p

·
Wreck Ferret 1
1,021 Posts
i have the JMD and my son has the older version, both of which are rock solid but i will say the focus on the new one is NOT as good as the older version, both give about 1 hrs use so yes they can be a pain in this respect but boy are they bright! and you can throw them about with a worry of smashing them up

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have the old one, and agree with everything said above about it.
- most robust bit of dive kit I've had
- same bulb as when I bought it, with no problems
- shame about the burn time (though still getting 60mins after 8yrs), which can be a pain when in Scapa (among other places)

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
I have the old type but I got them to upgrade the battery pack and charger so I now get 2hrs burn time.(not something they advertise)
I found this cheaper than buying a new torch when I was really happy with the original.I must have had it 8 -10 years now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the old type but I got them to upgrade the battery pack and charger so I now get 2hrs burn time.(not something they advertise)
I found this cheaper than buying a new torch when I was really happy with the original.I must have had it 8 -10 years now.
Now that is a cunning idea I'd not thought of - has to be cheaper (and quicker) in the short term than trying to rationalise buying a salvo/ greenforce. I may give them a call - thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts