YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>what are peoples recommended cures for jellyfish stings?
up at largs yesterday and swam through one of the little buggers without even seeing it ! made for a real nice drive home

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Try vinegar - I have some of those little sachets in my dive bag.  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Anything acidic - vinegar's good: lemon juice; coca-cola; all else failing, urine, will all work as well.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ May 27 2003,14:24)]Anything acidic - vinegar's good: lemon juice; coca-cola; all else failing, urine, will all work as well.
Can you imagine the headline - man caught trying to pee on his face claims he is a solo diver and ....

I'd def be willing to help cure a jelly fish sting however, as the joke goes, if bitten by a snake ....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Meat tenderiser, make into a paste and rub on - NOT YOUR EYES. it denatures the protein causing the sting - and doesn't stink (unless you get the one with mixed spices in - but that's another story).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

Best cure is some anti histamine cream or vinegar in your first aid kit  

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>After getting stung in clyde weekend before last and using anything I could, creams, tablets, vinegar, red bull (except piss) i reckon nothing really works short of suffering for three hours.

To be honest it was a good job I was driving cause I reckon the best cure is whatever spirts you can drink that are to hand!! Will investigate next time!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Apparently vinegar does work on jellyfish stings.  Fresh water should not be used to rinse the area as I believe it can cause any undischarged stinging cells to fire.

Also urine is supposed to work but the bad news is that apparently male urine is better as it tends to be more sterile !!

uummm  Think I'll stock up on the vinegar sachets  

Daz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts