YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Following up Dom's reference to Divex Jetfins, the following comparison between these "false" jetfins and "kosher" Jetfins may be of interest. The information comes from a Swedish dealer who sells both.
Copy size XL
Total length 500mm, maximum width 240 mm
Foot pocket depth 210 mm, width 115 mm
Weight 2.4 kg /pair

Scubapro Jetfin XL
Total length 560 mm, maximum widt: 245 mm
Foot pocket depth 220 mm, width 115 mm
Weight 2.9 kg /pair

The original is thus longer and 5 mm wider. The weight difference is significant, 2.4 versus 2.9 kg
Apparently, some customers think there is a big difference, to Scubapro's advantage.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Interesting.. are you sure it's Divex jetfins he's comparing them to?

According to the DIS list (where I was recommended them in the first place), the Divex XL foot pocket was actually slightly bigger than the Scubapro - that was another reason I was planning on getting hold of them, having size 11 feet and all

Did he compare their respective buoyancy as well? After all, if Divex is lighter but smaller, it may be heavier in the water than the Scubapro..

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I'll check and revert.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

By the way, Dom, I looked at the DIS website but couldn't find any reference to Divex Jetfins, only  Scubapro's Jetfins. Could you please give me the URL.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Unfortunately not, it wasn't the DIS website - it was the mailing list.

If you go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dis-uk and search for "Divex jet fins" you should find the relevant entries tho - I don't believe you have to subscribe to search the archives.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Morning folks,I had a look last night which fins I had to hand.I've got a pair of orig.U.S.Divers Rocket Fins,I think they were called this maybe due to patents etc.and all fins of this type became known universally as Jet Fins(a la Hoovers,Jacuzzis etc),can anyone enlighten me further?They're stamped "Made in U.S.A.,One size fits all"....ahem..it does'nt!I can get them on with a wet suit bootee but not my dry bag boots,Ihave'nt measured them/weighed them etc(I like them but we're not intimate).I've had them approx 20yrs and they were'nt new then.If they're no good to Fran who's about to start training,Davy's welcome to them (as it appears Dom's out on account of his size 11's)or they'll remain part of my "historic collection".You'll have to give me time to see if I have any more,I'm sure I've got another pair somewhere.Regards,Hobby.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

I'll have to believe you, Dom! The DIS forum archives are apparently only open to members.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

The Swedish dealer has now replied by e-mail but unfortunately not answered my question as to whether it was Divex Jetfins that he refered to as "copy" or some other copy. He has not checked the buoyancy, just says some customers have been quite satisfied with the copy, others very dissatisfied. He now offers a choice so that those who are prepared to pay the extra for the original can get the important S badge!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

The foot pocket on the Triton or the Sub-Aqua products jet fin is wide enough for dry suit boots.  (Size 12)
The foot pocket on the Beuchat I own is narrower and I would check before you get a pair, though its fine with wet socks.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hobby me ol'cock sparra, please put them to one side for me if you would mate, I'd very much like to try them out.. I'm a size 8 :biggrin:

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Dave - I have Jetfins suitable for small-footed person like you. I shall bring to Andy's and you can try 'em.

If ya want 'em you can pay what I got 'em for from Drift.

They're just too small for my size 10's

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from budgy on 8:35 pm on Nov. 7, 2002
The foot pocket on the Triton or the Sub-Aqua products jet fin is wide enough for dry suit boots.  (Size 12)
<span =''>Horlicks budgy - I passed on a set of Sub-Aqua jetfins I'd bought (large size 7-11) to the Gavster as they would not fit on my hoofs in the drysuit. Now apparently the Gavster can't fit in them (that's what you get for trying on and buying fins in a pub!!)....

I seem to be cursed - I then "obtained" a genuine DIR-God pair of Scooby Jetfins (size 7-11) and those don't fit either :cry: - 2tanks has his name on those for Andy's weekend, so we can compare with the Sub-Aquas if we can prize then off Davey's feet ;)

Drift is cursed by his "extra large" podia problems....

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Davey,I'll give em' to Bren as I beleive he'll be going on your weekend and you can give them a try,Ok.Take care,Hobby.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Hi Drift, Sorry to hear you could not get them on.  The base width of the Beuchat is 3" the Triton 3.5" and the Sub aqua product 3 .75" I can get the Sub Aqua product and the Triton on over my dry boots. Maybe my boots are narrower than yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts