YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

A question for anyone who's used Scubapro Jetfins (with or without the spring straps).
Have you ever found any fins that were better then, or even equal to, the Jetfins?
It's easy to find positive feedback about them, but I'm trying to find out if anyone's got anything bad to say about them...

(Edited by Dominic at 11:29 am on July 8, 2002)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

You should have said Dave, I use the twin speed Jetfins, you could have made a dive using them when we where in St Abbs! the only complaint I have is that they are deadly underfoot when in a swimming pool! you slide all over the place when standing on the bottom.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Doh... :wallywink: sorry wrong ones! ( split twin speed jetfins ) my mistake.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

I haven't found better fins for frog kicking, Dave, I had them at St Abbs, you coulda tried them!!  They weigh 5lbs which is good for cutting down some weight off your belt (if you have one, I don't) but they are a pain on the carry in to sumps. Also if kitting up in the water, losing them in nil vis makes it interesting as you have to find them by touch!! Black is hard to locate.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ammers,

Could you clarify your last post there, please?  Do you not wear any extra weight apart from your backplate, at all then?  It all comes from your rig?

If so, even when wearing neutral fins, doesn't switching to jet fins make you 2kg overweighted, or have I missed something?  Surely adding 2kg to your system means you have to lose 2kg somewhere to maintain your optimum weighting.  Or do you only wear the jet fins and have to add 2kg if you wear other fins?

Cheers

Lou

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou, thanks for your question.

I have a theory about weighting, sorry if this is a bit on the long side but it's for interest. On my first UK dive I had 28 lbs of lead on and I still struggled like #### to get under. As time went on I found that I could drop weight at a quick rate, 2lbs off the belt every few dives. I noticed upon ascent that if I ascended fast and did not dump air very regularly that I felt underweighted in the shallows. This I first put down to taking too much weight off then I realised it was down to incorrect air management technique (ooh vicar).

Now I can drop down in fresh water with NO weight on all in a pair of twin sevens or twelves. No lead. I never wear neutral fins or any other fins except jet fins and I can thoroughly recommend them to anyone. The backplate is ali so there is no weight there either.

When I dive now I take three torches into the caves so that makes me negative and can use "pull and glide" on the rocks on the floor of the cave, saves air and swimming.

I also have quite heavy torches on my helmet so they make me negative. I have started to use the helmet and mounted lights for open water diving too so that adds a bit of weight and frees up my hands for other stuff. If I don't use the helmet I stick 2 4lb weights into my pockets sometimes if wearing ali stages to counteract the positive bouyancy qualities when they start to empty.

I've had to do an incredible amount of reconfiguring with weight because the doctor told me I couldn't dive due to spine problems last year and the weight belt would make it worse, so I went home and got rid of the weight belt and calculated what I could add in different places.  

I can now use the same weight in fresh or salt water! Some of my rig is DIR orientated and some is not, flexibility is key for me and taking the good bits out of systems then leaving what won't work behind.

Going forward I'm moving more and more towards the alpinist school of thought, i.e. cutting down on open circuit stuff to use dual redundant rebreathers so I will have to totally rethink my weighting again...sigh...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also have quite heavy torches on my helmet so they make me negative. I have started to use the helmet and mounted lights for open water diving too
<span =''>

Now... who was it who said, not all that long ago, that DIR was the only way to dive in caves, no exceptions..?

Can't quite seem to recall...

;)

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

can I have your twin 7's then?

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

"Now... who was it who said, not all that long ago, that DIR was the only way to dive in caves, no exceptions..?

Can't quite seem to recall... "

Yeah but I also said at the time it was to get a big massive barney going on the dark side LOL.

2tugs, sorry but Dave is first in the queue for the twins

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

I have a pair of Jet Fins made by Typhoon they are a copy of the Scubapros. They are a bit heavier compaired to my Powa Planas, can't say that i've noticed a great deal of difference in propulsion though, mine have standard straps nothing fancy.  One thing I would say is my power planas are now looking a bit tatty, with brown marks from various wreckage.  The jet fins seem to survive a bit better not much you can scuff with black.  US Diver do or did a jet fin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

I know this post is a couple of weeks old but I'll stick in my 2p's worth. Until I got my JetFins (with springs) I was using excellerating force fins which are supposed to be designed for frog kickers. The difference is staggering. I really fly with the jets. Much faster and I don't look like a twat.
There are those frog fins which are also supposed to be good, particularly if you have overly large feet.

I also understand that Oceanic make decent spring straps but I'm not sure where you would be able to find them.

HTH

·
ex diving instructor
524 Posts
Imported post

Its years since Oceanic stopped spring manufacture, its either Halcyon, Manta, or I also manufacture them, On the subject of jets, they are all pretty similar, but the big footed guys, or booted need not despair, the large fins are called turtles, which is what I use, superb for frog kick, and if you really need to move dolphin kick.
Back to the original question:
For numerous years I used and swore by my Avanti Quatro's, then was convinced to try a pair of split fins which are good, then a few years back when I started making the spring straps I got some jetfins, basically to use as a photo model with straps on, thought I would try these old fashioned fins for a laugh, and have never used anything else since then, they are easier to propel, give you loads more thrust regardless of your finning style, your grandchildren will be able to use them, (they are built to last), and no bugger will nick them, cos they are not the latest gimmick on the market.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

But do you do mail order?

(Edited by Dominic at 9:45 am on July 26, 2002)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

DALESDIVER is right the fins for the larger foot are 'turtle' fins not frog as I previously said. My mistake.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Ammers on 8:58 pm on July 11, 2002
Hi

I can now use the same weight in fresh or salt water!
<span =''>

How can that be. i always need more in salt water, are you jedi?

DM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts