YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To cut a long story short, in my Quattros my feet are light with my twinset, so I bought some CDE Jetfins on fleabay...

Turns out they weigh exactly the same as my Quattros, 2.1kg for a pair.*

So I'm wondering if Turtles or other types of Jetfin are heavier...

What type (and size) do you have, and how heavy are they?

Thanks,
Dave.

* I'm aware the CDE Jetfins are a bit smaller than the Quattros so bit less water displacement, bit less positive bouyancy blah blah, but I don't reckon it's enough to make much odds.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave,

I think mine weigh about 2 kg each. It may be more though. I have turtle fins.

Dave C
Hi Dave - if I buy you a virtual beer will you stick them on the scales for me?

Chees mate :beer:

Dave.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Turtles Large size with spring straps are 3lb each 6lb the pair so 2.73kg for the pair

Quatroes are heavy fins.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turtles Large size with spring straps are 3lb each 6lb the pair so 2.73kg for the pair

Quatroes are heavy fins.

ATB

Mark Chase
Bugger.

Thanks for that Mark, saves me forking out for expensive fins I guess.

Ankle weights here I come... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
dave.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was asking about these a few days ago, regarding swapping quattros for jetfins.

Is the weight underwater the same as the weight on the surface, it weighing them on scales a good way to compare them?

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was asking about these a few days ago, regarding swapping quattros for jetfins.

Is the weight underwater the same as the weight on the surface, it weighing them on scales a good way to compare them?
Jetfins are probably smaller, so displace a bit less water but IMO the difference is going to be pretty small.

Now, if you had some water proof scales weighing them under water wold be the way to go... :D

Dave.

·
15,343 Posts
NEVER let it be sed that i am not a sad bastard

1lb wet :eek: :eek:mg: :confused:

so less than 1/2 a KG neg in fresh water so id say neutrol in salt???

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Quattros with springs - 2.1Kg
Beaver Jetfins with springs - 2.7Kg

I guess the difference is in the buoyancy, but I certainly feel that the jetfins are heavier in the water than the quattros.

Mark, have you a set of quattros to weigh in water?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
To cut a long story short, in my Quattros my feet are light with my twinset, so I bought some CDE Jetfins on fleabay...

Turns out they weigh exactly the same as my Quattros, 2.1kg for a pair.*

So I'm wondering if Turtles or other types of Jetfin are heavier...

What type (and size) do you have, and how heavy are they?

Thanks,
Dave.

* I'm aware the CDE Jetfins are a bit smaller than the Quattros so bit less water displacement, bit less positive bouyancy blah blah, but I don't reckon it's enough to make much odds.
Dave,
Sorry I may be being thick here, but what difference does it make if you are using a Twin set? that wouldn't make your fins any lighter surely?
If you don't have floaty feet syndrome with a single in your dry suit then you don't have floaty feet with a Twin set in a dry suit - or am I missing a point somewhere?:redface:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
With a twinset you have the weight of an extra 1st stage and the manifold to consider.

I had the same problem with my Quattros and twin 12's. I got some ex-MOD Jetfin style fins off fleabay for £5.99 and they did the trick (well nearly). Need to get some spring straps yet so should sort it out properly. That and I've wedged a 1kg lead shot bag at the bottom of my cylinders underneath the backplate.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
With a twinset you have the weight of an extra 1st stage and the manifold to consider.
Yep, I have a Twin set but it still don't make my FINS any different:)

I use Turtle Fins by the way as I can get lots of thrust (ooh er missus), I used a set of Rondine's and found them floaty with my dry suit - hence the Turtles.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Yep, I have a Twin set but it still don't make my FINS any different:)
The point I was trying to make whilst it doesn't alter the FINS (how could it?), it adds more mass further forward of the CofG of the diver, leading to a more head down position in the water. Hence the feeling of floaty feet.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
wouldn't it be down to the density of material that the fin is made from that would determine whether it's negative/neutral/bouyant.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NEVER let it be sed that i am not a sad bastard
OK, I'm not saying you're not :D

1lb wet :eek: :eek:mg: :confused:

so less than 1/2 a KG neg in fresh water so id say neutrol in salt???
Did you wet-weigh Quattros too Mark? That would be the ulitimate comparison test :thumbsup:

Marty, think of it this way - if your waist is your centre of gravity or balance point when horizontal in the water, and your trim is spot on with a single, when you stick another tank+manifold+reg on your back it's going to tip you head down, because it's not balanced across your CoG it's further towards your head. Sticking some heavier* fins on your feet will help to restore the balance. Ditto ankle weights...

Someone will be along in a minute to say "try some" no doubt. Well yes I plan too, as soon as I find myself on a boat with someone with turtles/jetfins who's willing to swap for quattro's for a dive.

Cheers,
Dave.

*strictly speaking it's the negative bouyancy in water, not weight on dry land that counts, but given difference in size (and hence water displaced) is small I reckon dry weight is a good indicator.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Someone will be along in a minute to say "try some" no doubt. Well yes I plan too, as soon as I find myself on a boat with someone with turtles/jetfins who's willing to swap for quattro's for a dive.
Can I be that person :) Have you tried your CDE Jetfins in the water yet? Or are you just speculating that they will be no better than the quattros based solely on the above water measurements. Surely the lesson of this thread is that you shouldn't take air measurements as much of an indicator for underwater buoyancy ;)

Cheers, Ant

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ah Ha

Dave / Copperband,
See told you I was being thick:) , if you'd mentioned trim you little tinkers I might have twigged.

·
15,343 Posts
Sadly I have sold my Quatroes or i would do said in water test comparison.

I have to say the results on the Jet fins were quite shocking. I always felt they wre heavy in the water?? maby Quats float but I seem to remember my ones sinking when they fell off :D

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 26 Posts