YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My JJ is due for delivery at the end of this month and its all getting very exciting :D.

Just out of interest, are there any spares I should definitely order with a new unit? Or should I wait until I have it back in Australia (I'm picking the unit up in Hong Kong, and training in Thailand)?

Also in terms of valves, are people just using inline valves on their units? I think I have seen some with the L/R valves (Matt Partridge - inverted tanks). What do people recommend in terms of valves. Are blue steel fine?

Cheers
Dave

·
JJ Ninja
735 Posts
Works a lot better with L/R valves IMO, houses route better and you cant put the bottles on the wrong way round (not an issue if they're labeled properly though) Best valves are old style MDE twinset manifolds, with the crossflow part blocked off. Hard to come by these days though.

Spares...

Couple of cells
Some batteries (last forever on the JJ, although I reckon these would be easy to find locally)
Full set of o rings
Mushroom valves
Scrubber nut
Scrims
Battery lid screw x2
Counterlung inner bag
Some reusable hose ends (wont find a custom length miflex when traveling, the reusable ends mean you can buy a reg hose cut an end off and make a new ADV hose in 2 mins)
Since you are in Australia, I would get a spare piece of loop hose just in case too.

·
iron chief
1,470 Posts
Bloody hell Mark that's alot of spares. I didn't get any and haven't needed any. The only consumable products I've needed to keep it going is a 3.6 volt saft battery, O2 grease for the seatec 02 connector and loads of silicone on the loop O ring.. Oh and Buddy clean don't use Miltion it fades every thing :(

Rob

·
JJ Ninja
735 Posts
Ive only had to change batteries once and one sensor, oh and the can o ring, I've just done mushroom valves too as one wasnt sealing properly.

If I didnt have the spares, something would break resulting in missing dives. If I have shelled out a load of cash on a trip, and taken precious leave, I dont want to be missing any dives.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just rang and spoke with Jan @ JJ-CCR HQ. He reccomended pretty much the same thing as daviem. So I've gotten him to chuck them in with the unit when he sends it. Better to have them and not need them rather than need them and not have them!

Now to sort out some damned tube weights...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you are in Australia, I would get a spare piece of loop hose just in case too.
Just out of interest, why does me being in Australia mean I should get a spare bit of loop hose? Is it very hard to find here?

Cheers
Dave

·
JJ Ninja
735 Posts
Just out of interest, why does me being in Australia mean I should get a spare bit of loop hose? Is it very hard to find here?

Cheers
Dave
Shipping would probably take a while. Better to have one to hand so you can swap it out in 10 minutes than to miss dives IMO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Baz at southern cross divers keeps the hoses in stock..
I carry a spare cell.. a hose, a full set of o rings and mushrooms valves and a set of batteries everywhere... even out on the boat... but dont forget cable ties.. or changing the hose is difficult.
so far i have,:
torn a hose - on the boat ride on the way out i think.. was only a tiny hole. but i just cut the hose a bit shorter and re-fitted it.(on the boat)
had a set of solenoid batteries die when i hit a thermocline
had a controller battery go haywire (3.6V- then hit 3.0v.. then later hit 3.16v.. then 3.56 v)
had a cell that is playing games.
needed to strip and clean the o2 add button.. (if u disconnect it in salt water i suggest stripping it down and cleaning it.. as it fills with water and builds up goo)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wat is the delivery time on spare's would be nice to know?
The essentials needed for every day use and some normal spares, i say yes.
but i am not going to keep to much in spare, if the ordering proses is just a few day's.

·
iron chief
1,470 Posts
Originally I did order a load of spare as mark suggested although they never arrived. However I did get a new switch in under a week from jj ccr which was good.

·
JJ Ninja
735 Posts
I ordered 3 cells on Tuesday, they arrived on Thursday. Thats with the Christmas post carnage. Once again epic service from Jan at JJ CCR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i got the Piezo switch for the hud delivered in just 3 days to Dubai/ uae. so the service of Jan is superb. Have hardly seen a quicker response anywhere.
So still these Piezos seem to be troublemaker as i can see i am not the only one.
Merry christmas to anyone, especially JJ-divers :) and a happy new year in advance.

Anyone any idea, tried to join the jj section of facebook but so far no response:(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did somebody check the spare parts?

I ordered a O ring kit RB , and a mouth peace o ring kit,
I tried to organize them by size and place, according to the list in the IART manual.
I could not get the job done there are some o rings not on the list and others more than the list and so one..

Does someone have a nice list of these o rings sizes and places.

·
bulging sweaty dirty putrescent member
1,331 Posts
I found the same with some missing and some that I couldn't figure out. I wasn't sure if it was because of the gradual changes to the unit over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK .......... i am not alone... yeah..

I thought there were some missing be course the they do not want you to change them as a user.
and that some parts are prohibited to trained maintenance personal only..

A detailed overview would be nice.

·
1,331 Posts
lol, what bits would be "prohibited"?
I've had every bit of mine apart that comes apart, and I know I'm not alone in that. how do you check if you don't look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,331 Posts
I understand your frustration. Dietmar seems to have drifted away from the manual production for the JJ, probably as he's doing more training and is no longer the main distributor.

I recently had to service a couple of Inspo first stages and the kits came with a nice actual size diagram enabling me to lay out the parts against the part number to follow the service manual. This made the job a lot easier and would be a benchmark imho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts