YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in january i went to vancouver for a final interview and tests for a global position as a helicopter engineer. Out of the 4 final candidates I came across the most employable. However after approx 4-6 weeks of waiting for a final decision, I was informed that one of the other candidates got the position, purely down to the fact I wasnt not qualified on the type of aircraft, no courses were available and an experianced engineer was required.

Thursday evening i checked my emails and had one asking if i was still interested as they have a job for me now.

Since january i have taken a permanent job 15 mins from where i live working equal time on time off shifts, Id previously contracted there for 16 months or so. Its easy money, lots of time off, poorish salary, sitting around for 11hrs at a time with very little to do. But i get the time to dive as often as i want, have quite a good network of mates and a new lassie, also dont want to burn any bridges as this industry is fairly small.

New job, dont know location yet but its looking far east, africa or possibly Oz, 6 weeks on 6 weeks off, tax free (im aware of tax implications as have previously worked as an ex-pat), very very good salary, good pension, new qualifications and challenges, and with one of the biggest helicopter operators in the world, but 6 weeks is quite a long time away, use to do 9 away 3 home.

Gut instinct says go for it, love working abroad, and the salary is a big plus, but at the same time im kinda settled in glasgow now, but would hate to regret a cracking opportunity but at the same time in 4-5 years time would hate to be stuck not getting a job back home again.

Ideas or suggestions please................................................

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I'm in the same industry as you....albeit I sell retrofits, upgrades and OE stuff.

If you have the opportunity I'd be inclined to go for it.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
It's a difficult call to make, especially as you are settled here, but as was said earlier, if you don't at least try, you will always wonder 'what if' and perhaps even come to resent the job and/or the lady that you stayed here for.

Of course, she may be worth it, I know mine is.

Juz

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Go for it!

There's always Skype (with webcam) for when you are away! Works for me, we have our daily conversation down to 5 minutes now ;) , and HWMNBO appears out here for one week a month.

·
Wreck Ferret 1
1,021 Posts
if you dont go for it you will sit there beating yourself up for not trying it.

These types of things only come up once in a while

Good luck

·
So much more than a child's play thing!
2,725 Posts
6 weeks on 6 weeks off ... Luxuary :) I work in the power generation industry where a typical overseas posting is 3 months on 2 weeks off and then only if the job allows it.

I've done years of travelling and to be honest it becomes a way of life. My advice would be to go for it, few years on an ex-pat salary now will set you up for life. As Sue has said communications are easy, the once a week phone call has been replaced by Skype and MSN every night. Now there's no bloody escape!

Gareth

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
After reading your thread I think you've already decided but just wanted a little bit of encouragement!

See you in 6 weeks time then!!!!! :teeth:

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Gareth,

no brainer mate!

And you can take your 360 away with you so you can still blast 10 tonnes of sh1t out of the spotty little yanks!:teeth:

Girlie will have to wait or come out and see you... if that's what you want:wink:

Pete

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Email has gone accepting job offer, so off to Vancouver for a few days induction 10th June, havent got a clue where im gonna be based, when im starting first 6 week tour or exactly what im working on. Lifes an adventure, and the bank manager might start sending nice letters now!!!!!

Now what shiney stuff do i need that i can get cheaper over there than here at the current exchange rate............................:teeth:

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Congrats mate, I was just about to post what someone said to me when I was thinking about staring a family ( a similarly big decision), " you may regret it if you don't but you will never regret it if you do", but as you have already made the decision I'll just wish you good luck in your new job.

Ian

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Gareth,
when you in vancouver poick me up one of them Diverite lights that Hickdive was talking about.

Will give you the cash when I get back from Mallorca :)

D.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Go for it!

HWMNBO .
INDEED! Flaming women don't know their place anymore..huh...:angry:

Seriously, opportunities always look bigger when they have passed you and are vanishing into the distance, trick is to grab them when they are within reach. Sieze the day, live for the day and remember it's always the things you didn't do that you regret.

anyone else want any homespun philosophy? :teeth:

Pete

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
INDEED! Flaming women don't know their place anymore..huh...:angry:
I do! ;)

:sun: :shade: :ip:

Good luck Gareth! :girlhug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts