YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I am planning to leave the company I currently work for (the proverbial hit the fan today so I have been kicked even more into gear on the job-hunt front!!).  Basically, I'm looking for a role as Press Officer in a company which is associated with diving or the sea (I have the relevant experience so I'm not just trying my luck
).

For example, I've written to Lonely Planet and the London Aquairum but they don't have any vacancies at the mo.  Does anyone have any ideas of other types of places I could try???  I appreciate it's a bit of a long shot but the air con's broken down today and my brain isn't working!!

Thank you  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Padi, Bsac, long shots but you never know.
GreenPeace, Save the whale etc.

Sorry about the loss of job, its seems to be a YD thing at the moment, or maybe its just that there are so many more members we are seeing more of it.
Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Cheers Matt.  To be honest though, it's more a case of me jumping ship than being pushed so only myself to blame...  basically fancy doing something that's vaguely interesting!!

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Doing something vaguely interesting hey?!

<in the imortal words...> "Neither Mrs CJ nor I got where we are today doing something vaguely interesting Reggie!"

Sorry, my air con's down too and brain feeling the pressure  

Good luck with the job hunt - maybe try some of the larger online retailers (Simply Scuba,...) or conservation/holiday people (Coral Cay,...)

Dave.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

uh Sailor, Fisherman, coastguard...

What about approaching somebody like Unilever who produce lots of fish based food.  I know it sounds odd but, companies like these plough huge amounts of money into the environment, sustainability etc and whole departments of people doing this kind of stuff - they have too to ensure they have supplies for the future.

How about the Marine Stewardship Council and the Marine Conservation Society?

What about doing vol. work overseas with surveys etc - the competition is stiff but very often obvious enthusiasm and determination to learn and succeed wins through.  Persevere and you'll get there.

Finally networking - do it like there's no tomorrow.  Get out and meet people, its one of the best ways of finding out whats out there, whats needed etc.

Tim

ps good on yer for getting on with moving on - it def becomes harder as you get older and the number of ties increase.  Good Luck.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

All of the big oil and salvage cos. will have press depts. i.e. Shell, Rizdon-Beasley. I know it's not as eco-friendly as most of the above but I suspect the salary with them would be fairly good.

Hope it goes well,
Peter

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Well, I got pushed mate, so you're doing well to be thinking now.  FFS get mortgage/ccard redundancy insurance - I'd have been shafted without it.

Marine Archaeologist/historian?  Salvage diver?  Naturalist? Camaeraman?

ATB

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks everyone, I'll see what sort of things those guys have on offer.  Will no doubt keep you posted  

1 - 8 of 8 Posts