YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A mate of mine who works at a recompression chamber in Thailand sent me this.

This event took place today 04 Jan 2003.
A man with a dive-related injury was  cas-evaced to hospital by speedboat/ambulance after feeling ill while snorkeling(?).
After a while the following facts emerged..
a)He was snorkeling with a pony bottle, and had done so for 4 days.
b)He ran out of air & bolted to the surface.
c)He was diving alone/uncertified.
d)He suffered an arterial gas embolism (AGE)
e)He had no insurance and refused hyperbaric treatment (but had 02 en route).

I know jocks are tight but this is taking it to extreme!!

Paul

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Where the f.... did he get his air from. I can`t dive 4 day`s on a pony. But serious I can feel no mercy with that Guy as there are ways of informing ones self about the ( dangers) of diving and so on. And the place thet filled his tanks .....that is an other story.

Stay save
Michael

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

In this country, UK we have no laws about selling equipment or air to un certified people, all he had to do was keep his mouth shut and pay his money. If this was to change i am sure we would have a lot of postings on here about money grabbing instructors and the like.

DM

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I don't know why, but there is a certain wicked delight in saving 20p on the locker charge at the pool. The lds's always offer me a discount, I don't have to ask anymore, some times I feel a little ashamed, when I don't fall about laughing.:biggrin:
P.S. I'm a thrifty taffy

(Edited by budgy at 6:30 pm on Jan. 13, 2003)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Your Oppo in Thailand - that wouldn't be Dave Covey would it Paul?? I used one of his postings (horror stories) from the BSAC board on here as a reminder about the necessity of having adequate insurance cover - especially where pots in-country are concerned. Seems like a good guy. Certainly informative. His set up in Thailand doesn't look too shabby either. Glad to see someone putting effort into getting Mob guys sorted out and resettled when coming into Civvie Street.

Cheers,

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Bren

Yes it is the Cove, we go back to being Junior Leaders and joining the same Infantry Battalion in the 70's (Very late 70's i may add).

His chamber deals with about 25 divers each season, and he lets me know any interesting or different one's that come along.

I feel he offers a good service as a dive co-ordinator out in Thailand.

Regards

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts