YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok folks do you use a jon line and if so how is it rigged up - my buddy has started arseing around with one but never really seen one used much i have usually had the old bag up or simply just hold on, so how do you rig yours - was looking at the GUE expedition to the Britannic and those guys seemed to use just a simple loop about a foot long looped round the shot - or upline as the yanks call it - and presumably a bolt snap on the end.  Didn't see anything on the DIR websites on them or any other for that matter so please reveal your secrets on your line
Dinger

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

My Jon line is 2m long 1" thick nylon with a loop at one end and a snap clip at the other. Depending on the conditions I can either loop it round the shot and pass the end through its own loop and then clip the Jon line off on a d-ring or I can use the snap clip to clip the Jon line to itself around the shot and hold the loop. All depends how long I'm going to hang and if my hands are full with camera etc.

Sorry I can't post a photo as my line is at home in Thailand and I'm stuck in an office in Riyadh daydreaming about diving!

Ian

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

1 inch thick? can you get clips that large?

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I've got one of those funny clips 3m of 25mm webbing (funky colours) and a couple of bolt snaps
the weebing has a bolt snap at each end and a loop in the middle the funny clip is threaded on to the webbing

this allows me to have a line between 1 and 3m

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

"1 inch thick? can you get clips that large? "

By thick I meant wide, sharp slap administered to forehead!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dinger,

On the film, and the DIR/GUE solution (I can already feel the replies!) is to use your spool. It should already have a loop in the end-put this around upline-feed the spool back through the loop, and clip the spool off onto your scooter ring.

As you move up, simply unweight the spool (by swimming/pulling yourself towrds the upline)-grab the loop and slide it up.

Works well!

Adam

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

A DIR spool should have TWO loops at the end - a big one. to pass the spool through, and a small one so you can undo it again with gloved hands

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Mar. 22 2004,14:55)]A DIR spool should have TWO loops at the end - a big one. to pass the spool through, and a small one so you can undo it again with gloved hands
<font color='#8D38C9'>hmm another advantage of being a stroke I can use a bolt snap  

where does the second loop go?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Agreed Dominic, but perhaps not really relevant to this discussion...  

I'll leave you to explain where all these loops go!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

True, but I'm bored - I've done all today's work, tomorrow's work, and Wednesday's work as well...

Beanie - the spool line ends in a kind of lopsided figure-eight, with a small loop right at the end, then a big loop. It looks sort of like:

(=)(=============)--------------------------------[SPOOL]

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

To be honest i didn't think that the line was heavy enough to hold that sort of weight - thought that there was a separate line for that in the pocket but thanks for the info - personally i dont use a spool - actually have never seen one all our gang use mge reels or the like so I might just stick to a bolt snap and a bit of climbing rope or something - I assume that jon lines are allowed by the GUE gang then - wasn't aware of that till the film since i have never seen it mentioned in all the literature around on the net etc
Dinger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts