YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Right! looks like everyone else is too knackered to start this so I'll kick it off. Having done 25 dives (21.5 hours) in 6 days I'll make this the edited highlights, plenty of piccies taken by Fi, Tim and Kate will hopefully follow in due course

Gav, Fi, Dougie & Me crashed at Mark's on the Saturday before hooking up with Tim at the Airport, flight was thankfully uneventful and on time. Met up with Connor (aka Camdiver) and Kate at Oonas on Sunday evening, bought lashings of (not ginger) beer and loaded up onto the M.Y. Juliet Sunday evening. Met our fellow non-YD divers: Robyn, Simon and James who had travelled as a three, and the three intrepid independant travellers: Linda the Ozzy rocker, Katherine the Doctor, and Posh Sue from the BBC (only kidding...
  )

Monday, before breakfast, was the checkout dive at Temple, followed by Ras um Sid where Gav and Fi saw a whitetip reef shark, no photos so it wasn't counted by the rest of us
 Then Ras Gahzlani (turtle and scalloped torpedo ray). ended the day with a night dive at Ras Katy where we all got stalked by lionfish, some nice squid put in an appearance at the end of the dive.

Tuesday we were in (I stand corrected) Tiran: started with Thomas reef where we dived as the YD six, leaving the others to be led by the lovely Vicky, our dive guide, whose clarion call of   "Brrrrreeeeeeeefing !" became the catchphrase of the gig. Saw a cool turtle at 15 metres, Gav and I managed to resisted the lure of the 90 metre deep canyon (gotta go back on Trimix, so tempting...), and I cracked the 168 hours (7 days) underwater barrier. Next was "diver soup" at Jackson Reef (FFS!), followed by the wreck of the Cormaran after lunch - a wreck with a porthole on it! never seen that before  
 good diversity of corals on it too. Tuesdays night dive was southern lagoon (Tiran) where we saw "the mother of all hawksbill turtles" who was trying to get some kip, but somehow Gav's light sabre seemed to be p***ing her off.

Wednesday's pre-prandial dive was the far side of Jackson reef where I saw a Hammerhead, unfortunately I don't have a camera and no one else saw it... everyone saw the very chilled out turtle at 15 metres who didn't seem the slightest bit disturded by us gawking at her. Post breakfast was Ras Nasrani where Kate kindly lent me her digital camera, dive passed very quickly as a result - guess what I'm buying tomorrow... Post lunch dive was meant to be Shark and Yolanda reefs but the current had other ideas so we did Anemone City and Shark Observatory - how big was that puffer fish in the cave ? Jeezus !!! give that boy plenty of room or else  
 Night dive was (I think) The Alternatives where we saw Spanish dancers, another big pufferfish and Textile cone shells  - gotta respect these puppies, can kill you quick as boiled asparagus!

As the only veggie on board the chef prepared the occasional individual veggie dish for me, so could be heard asking "You Steevil ?" as we queued for meals, a very creative blending of "Steve" & "Dr Evil" , I like it

Part two to follow later, I'm knackered and the foor is still moving, gotta love those "sea legs" eh?

Chee-az
Steevil

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Stevie,

You must be still well knackered, mate: if you were diving the Kormoran wreck, Thomas, Woodhouse, Jackson Reefs etc. then you were in the Tiran Straits and NOT Ras Mo dude.....it's in the opposite direction  
 Get some kip man and finish this off; thou hast whetted (large styleeee) my appetite.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Doh!!  

Actually I'm even more knackered today than yesterday, even after a good nights kip; how does that work
And can someone please fix the inertial dampers on the second floor of this building ? It's still undulating big sty-lee

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Having read Mark's post I  reckon that covers what I was going to put into my "part two", so no point in lots of repetition. Needless to say I think we'd all recommend both Oonas divers and the MY Juliet to all and sundry, well worth every single penny.  Roll onthe next overseas gig  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Nice report, Steve! How about telling us a little more about the boat, food, diveguide etc? What did the trip cost?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Nov. 11 2003,10:42)]... And can someone please fix the inertial dampers on the second floor of this building ? It's still undulating big sty-lee
Sorry Steve, that requires a directional sensor recalibration, and I don't go up Jeffries tubes any more  

Nice write-ups one and all. Makes me wish I was back there. Although I always wish that.

Adrian

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Nov. 11 2003,14:11)]and I don't go up Jeffries tubes any more  
And I'm bound to say that 'Jeffrey' is damned happy to hear it!  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Come on chaps! Where are these photies of said YD Team 'Larging-a-la-Liveabaord??

Your public awaits!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Re photos, Fi should be able to supply some quicker than Tim but she's got a big case on at the mo so i'm guessing the Scottish Crown court is taking precedence. Poor Tim returns from a week away, sees his wife and kids for five nanoseconds then has to head off to Ireland for work so reckon it'll be a while before he has time to post piccies.

John, your wish is my command:
the boat was clean and well appointed, the url doesn't lie: MY Juliet

THe food was plentiful and veggie options were in abundance, I don't think anyone lost any weight and there were no reports of unnatural jelly-bellies (other than the ones we took with us
)
Vicky the dive guide is extremely charming (ie she's a babe
 ) , though one or two points of the Brrrreeeeeeefing... could have been slightly more emphasised - e.g. I turned the group around at the edge of one of the tiran reefs because I thought she'd said not to go around the corner if the current was strong, however I'd misheard as she'd said the rib would pick us up because the current was strong.

As far as cost, IIRC it ended up as £725 inluding all dives, tanks weights, food, transfers etc etc etc, the only extra was the beer which we got from a wholesaler.

THe boat crew were a friendly bunch, always on hand to help with tanks, suit zips, etc, also keeping an eye on the inexperieced divers (one female diver jumped in with an unfastened tank band which the crew spotted)  and we managed some banter/rappore even thru the language barrier, the RIB cox was quite a character.

I think the chap who impressed us most was the "airport wizard" Respect to that dude, for 5 measly dollars we were spared immgration, and him sorting out the visas for us while we stood around chatting was sweet as a nut  

Overall I'd have to say the trip was the best holiday i've ever had, good diving , good company, what more could one ask for... ?
 (I know Gav, Nitrox, nitrox, nitrox
 )

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

What? No Nitrox on the Juliet?

We had it on our time on her. As long as it's booked in advance (which is where you might have fallen down - no pun on Gav's Scapa exploits intended!); you go via Sharm old port (i.e. not Naama Bay) to 'The Barge' and simply take what you need, analyse it yourself and load the cylinders onto the Juliet. I think you'll agree she's got more than enough deck-space to store a week's worth of 'trox for the troops?

Doing the Thistlegorm, sans 32% !

Didn't anyone ask before getting aboard? Bad admin or were you told you couldn't have it? Albeit at extra cost.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Just a quick input from myself.

Bloody fantastic holiday!

Photo's will be sorted this weekend.

And that's me done for the mo.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Didn't really need nitrox and to be honest we were doing at leats two dives a day at average depths of less than 10m with plenty of time spent off-gassing.

What I would have loved was twins to go popping down deeper.

As it happened I didn't get within 3 mins of deco the whole trip.

I'll write more when I get time but as proper trips go it was pretty proper.

In short, good boat, no twats, great food, great crew, guide that didn't piss me off and lots of sea life ...

... shame about the bleeding Italians.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>It was the first dive holiday that I've been on and what a trip!!!!!

Was bloody spot on!!!!!!

x x x

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

We were right.....you do look like your avatar

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

That was my only complaint about the Juliet when I did it in June. I had extra tanks put on for me but it was inconvenient as they had them piled in a corner which wasn't the best way. Apparently they are getting nitrox next year (egyptian time) but my next liveaboard holiday I will ensure is nitrox equipped.

Andy

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

25 tanks of nitrox per nitrox diver onboard ?  That'd be at least 100 tanks (Gav, Fi, Tim & Me), I think that'd be taking the p***  a bit.
In retrospect it wouldn't have been worth the bother of me getting nitrox as my buddy for the whole trip isn't nitrox trained and was in receipt of my long hose (oo-er missus) for many dives in order to get a decent dive time due to high AC.  It is still possible to dive safely on air, regardless of the increasingingly techie bias of YD.

Chee-az
Stevil

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Add to that the fact that a few of us would have been Nitrox certed if Nitrox was available and you potentially have 250 cylinders kicking about.....its spacious but not that spacious

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Imported post

Never done liveaboard with them, but been to Oonas Dive club a few times. Excellent !! Sounds like the boats are as good as the club.

Great report as well....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts