YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

In the wrong forum but hey-ho !

Just put a call in to local Keydoc ( emergency doctor ), left upper arm has been sore all day , keep wanting to rub it, no sign of bruising, dived last night, max depth 13m for 37mins, now arm is starting to tingle.

Waiting on the doctor to call me back, what would be the next step, I'm in Northamptonshire so where would the nearest chamber be to me should I need to get to one ?

regards
Andy ( ancl )

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Andy!!!

Hope your arm just fell asleep!! Please let me know what is up, I hope you are ok!

moray

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hope it is something trivial Andy,

Better safe than sorry.

Keep us informed.

Daz

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Nasty - i had to go to the local A&E to get me knee checked out after a particularly shitty weekends diving a while ago.  The doc was reluctant to call the RN doctor even though i had already spoken to him and he said to get the A&E doc to phone him.  
Turned out to be a sore knee from twisting getting on and off the boat with twinset.

Better be safe than sorry.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Unless the keydoc - whatever that is never heard of it meself - is a diving doc then be careful.

Speak to DDRC as soon as unless the tingling goes away.

Hope it's a false alarm.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Just back from keydoc ( local emergency doctor )  GP didn't have any knowledge of who to speak to, gave him the YD url and mentioned DDRC, saw Beanies post as I was just about to go out the door.

Spoke to a Dr Sharpe at Plymouth who said if I was near to them to get down there for a checkup and a go in the pot.

Gave me two numbers, one for Peterborough hospital which was just voice mail, the other number was the hospital at St John's Wood London, spoke to Simon down there, gave my symptoms, from the sound of my description it is a mild dci hit that needs treating, I could either get down there tonight for a checkup and if needed sit in a pot, or be down there at 0900 tomorrow morning for a 6 hour stint.  

The chap said it wouldn't get any worse and it was my call if I wanted to go now or tomorrow, opted for tomorrow as I've been up since 0600 and want to get some sleep.

Anyway off to work out train timetables and to get the train / tube down there tomorrow morning.....

Thanks for the replies, wonder if I can log it as a dive  

Will update you tomorrow....

Andy

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The chap said it wouldn't get any worse and it was my call if I wanted to go now or tomorrow, opted for tomorrow as I've been up since 0600 and want to get some sleep.
You silly boy,,,,,,,,,, GET TO THE POT NOW  and have ya snooze whilst in it .

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I went on a visit to London Hyperbaric last night, and after hearing the lectures and case studies I'd echo Andy's comments - get there as soon as possible.  It may be easier to get to Whipps Cross than St. Johns Wood - call their 24 hour number 07740 251 635.  Catherine Condon was the lady who gave us the lecture, her view was that they would rather you called than let it get worse.

Andy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Local doctors/GP's/A&E unless they are divers are a complete waste of time, its beyond their scope/experience in general.
I carry Whipss Cross and Capital Hyperbarics numbers with me at all times and they would be who I called first if on land, coastguards when at Sea. They will asses you and/or tell you who is the nearest pot available and working/staffed.

Whipps Cross (NE London) are brilliant, they treated my son Adam last year and we saw them at LIDS, she remembered him too, get there, or phone, as soon as possible even if you dont think its a hit. They will asses and treat accordingly, DO NOT delay, as already stated earlier the better, false alarms are OK. You can walk away from those.

Matt

ps Adam hadnt been hit, just cold and tired, but they potted him anyway and no hint from them of it being a waste of time etc.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ April 16 2004,09:41)]get there, or phone, as soon as possible
<font color='#F52887'>Not meaning to flame you Matt but please do not just turn up at a chamber, it may be out of order for servicing for a start.

The people who will know and be able to assess you and point you in the right direction are either the coastguard (via channel 16 VHF or dial 999), And there is a diving Dr on call permanaently at thr RN Undersea Medical Centre, who has info about chambers both here and abroad. He/she can be reached on 07831 151523.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

The British Hyperbaric Association give out 'gold cards' with contact details on them. This includes the phone number for the RN diving doc that Mary quoted earlier. I usually carry a stack of them and give them out to anyone who wants one.

Another tip is to program it into the memory of your mobile.

Do it now.....while its fresh in your mind

RN Diving Doc - 07831 151523
DDRC - 01752 209999

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Mary, you are of course correct, by getting there I did mean make sure they are open/staffed first.

Thanks for clearing it up if it could be mis-read.

Matt

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I can confirm the RN duty diving GP is a very good route to use in the event of a problem. Someone contacted me a couple of weekends ago, the evening after a trip saying her legs were tingling, she felt sick and was very tired. I got straight on the phone and within minutes we were on our way to Hull recompression chamber.

I was very impressed with the whole system. The first hospital bed the casualty sat down on was in the private hospital housing the recompression chamber.  No A and E GPs trying to get arterial blood or trying deparately not to loose face because they have no idea about the condition. No begging A and E to speak to the duty diving doctor etc.

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ April 16 2004,09:41)]Local doctors/GP's/A&E unless they are divers are a complete waste of time, its beyond their scope/experience in general.

Whipps Cross (NE London) are brilliant,
Matt is spot on with this based on my experiance.  I pulled a guy out of Stoney and the following day felt pains in my elbow joint.

I contact my GP (Which I would never do again for a diving related problem).  At the time I was a DM and advised the doc of what had happened and asked if he would refer me to the hospital.

He refused and I called my instructor at the time who worked within Whipps Cross.  It was only then that things stated to move and I was asked to visit WC Hospital ASAP.

When I arrived i was seen by Dr Farrell ( I think) He was fantastic.  He diagnosed a hit and sent my GP a letter.  A few days after that I received a call from the practise manager at around 19:00 in the evening to say "sorry".....

I always carry a list of numbers in my log book for the nearest chamber and two back ups incase the nearest is in use.

I will add the numbers that I have when I get home.

Take Care and Stay Safe

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

In future don't 'phone "normal" docs. The truth is they know jack shit about DCI's. I have seen it myself with consultants in A+E who have had to go and read a book.

In Scotland:
Sea based- VHF Channel 16, May-day, diver in distress, explain the "suspected" problem. They'll take over....
Land based- Aberdeen Royal, 01224681818, ask for the duty diving Doc. They will co-ordinate all rescue from there....

Peter

1 - 20 of 39 Posts