YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Phew.

6 wrecks in 3 days. Can't complain. Besides what they're all above 30 meters and in very good condition. Viz was between 20 and 10 meters throughout. Should get better once the water cools down a bit.
Took about 280 pictures and was actually quite pleased with a few of them, though when it comes to wreckdiving a wide angle lens is an absolute must.

Anyroads. Should you have any questions, just ask.

Kyrre

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Last pic was from Elise Schulte which is not exactly in Narvik. But close enough  

Found a Bible on the destroyer Wilhelm Heidkamp. Someone had been inside and picked it up  
 but left it on the deck. I left it as was. Took a pic though.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

No questions, Kyrre, just wanted to say nice pics. Glad you had good vis.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Sep. 02 2003,12:34)]No questions, Kyrre, just wanted to say nice pics. Glad you had good vis.
<font color='#0000FF'>Yup. With such intensive diving it takes a while to absorb all the impressions. Good thing I have the digital camera. It serves as my divelog  

Here's a pic from inside Stråssa. Taken through a porthole.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Amazing pics, Kyrre.  Another place to add to my list of "must visits" I think.  Can you do a bit more of a report for us, please?  I would like to hear more of the trip and the dives, especially as at those depths it is eminently do-able for most of us!

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I haven't been to either place and I don't want to slaughter any holy cows but my impression from talking to a lot of people that have dived Narvik is that the wrecks are a lot more interesting than those in Scapa Flow. The vis is certainly a lot better. Also, there is a lot of very nice scenic diving in the same area, with loads of life.
I would think that you could do Narvik from southern England for about the same price as Scapa, Lou. Anybody fancy doing a trip next spring, before the plankton bloom starts? I'd be interested in tagging along from this side of the North Sea.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The Jane R would probably be our best bet from the UK. There is another one leaves from Peterhead that I can't quite remember the name of. It'll come back to me.

Peter

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for the comments...

I'll make up a proper report. When it comes to diving up here I'd be happy to take part in the organisation. Also remember that there'll be another Narvik Wreck Weekend next August...

Here's another one. This is my buddy Øyvind again hovering over the stern of Elise Schulte. (Haven't "webbified" any other pics yet)

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Sep. 02 2003,15:41)]The Jane R would probably be our best bet from the UK. There is another one leaves from Peterhead that I can't quite remember the name of. It'll come back to me.

Peter
Isn't the Jane R expensive, Peter? It's an awful long way from Bergen to Narvik. I'd have thought the best (cheapest) way to get to Narvik would be to get the ferry to Bergen and then drive up.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Indeed John,
                I had only really spent a bit of time reading that site about 1/2 hour ago and I think I'd rather a week in the Red Sea. I'm still trying to remember the one that leaves from Peterhead as it saves you on ferry fares to Norway.

Peter

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Sep. 02 2003,23:19)]Isn't the Jane R expensive, Peter? It's an awful long way from Bergen to Narvik. I'd have thought the best (cheapest) way to get to Narvik would be to get the ferry to Bergen and then drive up.
Well I can imagine it's kinda expensive going on a liveaboard... and to be honest it may be kinda unnecessary considering the fact that all the wrecks are inside Narvik Harbour.. a RIB will do, and that can be arranged locally through dive clubs and such.

A drive from Bergen is approximately 24 hours, give or take. If you ask me I'd have thought one way to get there would be going by ferry to Gothenburg (Through Kristiansand in Norway) and from there by train to Narvik. Not sure about the trip from G to Stockholm, but from Stockholm to Narvik it's about 18 hours. And a nice trip it is too, since it leaves S in the Afternoon and arrives around noon the next day in Narvik.

Of course planes are getting cheaper here, and nowadays you can get a return trip Evenes - Oslo for about £100.

To keep with the theme here's a pic from inside one of the holds on the freighter Stråssa. You may want to call it penetration, but you can actually swim from one hold to the other without much hassle. Since all the freighters are upright you can in any case always descend into the holds to have a looksie

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>... aaaaand just to show that it's not all heavy metal. This from the freighter Neuenfels:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I did post this link in a different thread, but here are some pictures from a previous British expedition. They seem quite content  

Narvik expedition

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre, everybody, I'm busy researching the transport aspect. Hope to revert with info' and views later this afternoon.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre, John,

I must say i am very, very interested in this. I think i could get a small group together to join a trip.  Say 6 divers, although we could get freaked by the vis, far too much for us.

Beer prices are a big concern though. Rhib diving, thats us.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well...

Depending on how you want to do this I can really help you out arranging all necessary stuff associated with diving. Boats, accomodation and diveguiding. But be warned:
Withing two hours' drive from Narvik we have at least 15 accessible wrecks, some of which are more or less intact save the superstructure. You'll find rudders, brass propeller blades and such still in place on a few of the wrecks... What I'm saying is that there's a lot to choose between.

Vis CAN be kinda crappy, say around 5 meters, in the high summer (If we ever get one) so the best time to travel here for the viz is in the cold times of the year, though since the sun is below the horizon in December and January I can recommend coming here either mid autumn or spring. Temp in the water will then be around 4-6C.

Oh, there's a Ju-52 in a freshwater lake here as well. 8-10 meters depth. Perfect for a rinse-dive.

Kyrre

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Okay, okay, please STOP now!!

5m, "kinda crappy"....I was quite pleased with 5m at the weekend!  Just keep an eye on those Dover boys or you may only have 13 1/2 wrecks left by the time they leave!!

Actually, if someone puts a proposal forwards and it isn't too dear we would be very interested indeed.

Lou

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I'll start a new thread on this as it has changed direction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts