YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi...I just registered last night and posted a query then...thanks to all who responded.

I'm just starting to extend my diving into cavern, cave and deeper diving. I've done a number of cavern dives over the years but I'm in the process of getting the right certification as a starter to formalise what I've already been doing.

I'm essentially a novice in the cavern and cave area but I have 200+ dives and approx 50 of those in cold water, being 1-7 degrees.

Unfortunately, I'm from Lincs but now live in Luxembourg but I travel back to the UK for courses, dives with friends etc and so I'm only a rare Yorkshire diver but hopefully that'll change.

Also, if anyone is interested and passing, there are some good cavern and cave dives near me so if you're in France, Belgium...let me know.

At the moment, and I'll be honest, my main reason for registering with Yorkshire divers was to learn from you, ask questions on kit and get advice...hope you don't mind.

kinetic...aka Graham    

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Graham,

We don't mind at all mate. Feel free to get in amongst it and ask away. We'll help where we can.

For Cave & Cavern, we've got Malcolm and others from the Cave Diving Group (CDG) and Bob Cooper who dives the Mexico/Florida and (I think) the French springs and cave systems as part of the GUE sceen, so they should be able to cover a lot of your questions.

As I understand it (I can't say 'in my experience', as it's zero diving in caves), there are essentially two 'types' of cave diver:

1. The diver who likes diving in springs and caverns (hopes for gin-clear viz, cathedral-like, warm water etc.).

2. The Caver who understands that to negotiate his/her way to the part of the cave they seek in the system/sump they're in, they need to don diving kit to do it sucessfully.

Which are you? Oh, and if you don't already have it, check out the following URL for the CDG:

http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/

HTH and look forward to reading your postings.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Bren....thanks so much for the welcome.

Well, as far as I've gone so far...I don't really know which type I am...I've dived in both but...these are really basic overhead dives which did not really need a qualification.

I have enjoyed the clear but I've also enjoyed the challenge of a silt up and managing to stay calm...but again, i say the dives I did were really not that technically demanding..each 20-30 mins max single 12 dives.

I'm just wanting to go a bit further knowing that I've enjoyed my first steps in to this area of diving.

G

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well in G,

Your perspective and comment will come in useful on the many kit-config/solo Vs 'self-sufficient' redundancy threads that begin and get input from all over the place.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hi and welcome.  Nice to have you with us, ask away.  Dive safely.  

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hi, firstly, a disclaimer, I know nothing about cave diving in the UK. The CDG are the boys for that.
France/Florida I have done some lovely, what would be termed tourist dives, which are amongst the most beautiful dives I have ever done. Also stunning cavern dives in Crete and Minorca.
There is a well trodden structured route into resurgence type diving in caves through the agencies, TDI, IANTD courses available in France from excellent UK instructors. If you are interested, I would be happy to point you in the right direction for advise.
I don't think GUE operate in France, if you wanted their cave training it would probably be a trip to Florida, Bob would know more on this though. Come to think of it, a trip to N Florida is pretty good even without a cave course!!
Cavern courses can be done with a single and pony, cave, with manifolded twins.
UK operate generally on side mount independants, there are others far more qualified here to give UK advise.
All the best, Malcolm.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Just to add to what Malcolm has already said.....There are "resident" GUE cave instructors in Mexico and North Florida.  There is a cave diving infrastructure in North Florida (around High Springs) and there is everything a cave diver needs there.  That same infrastructure doesn't exist in France (yet?).

I know of a very good GUE cave and tech instructor who travels to Europe occasionally to train cave divers.  Contact Tyler Moon ([email protected]).  I think Tyler is planning training trips to Europe this Summer.

If you want to know more about cave diving in France there are two excellent books available.  Andrew Ward's book covers the Lot/Dordogne region and another, compiled by Stuart Morrison covers Eastern France.

Check out www.lot46.com and www.lizardland.co.uk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Thanks Bob, Malcolm, Froggy et al for your comments and pointers.

I'm actually doing TDI Overhead Environment Cavern Diving Course in June with a bloke called Martyn Farr in Wales..

http://www.farrworld.co.uk

I haven't set this up as a link but it's an interesting site and he's been in caves all his life....you may know him.

Once that's safely done I'll take time to go onto the next levels. I'll certainly get in touch with the blokes who come over to France.

Also, thanks for the note on the Stuart Morrison book...I'd already got that one on my list and I'm in fact ordering it tomorrow now that you reminded me.

Best regards all...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hi, sounds like you have all bases covered, following this plan you should get a taste of both main equipment schools of thought, take it all in, and try not to get too confused

Seriously, you should learn loads----enjoy.

Cheers, Malcolm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts