YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>two days ago Peter Ott, a good friend of Rebecca and me had a fatal diving incident in the Starnberger lake in germany while he was doing a training dive in a trimix instructor course. As far as I know so far he was found one day later with 140 bar in his twin 10 litre tanks and a foll stage tank with both low inflator hoses disconected from his twin bladder wing. The plolice are looking in to the matter. As soon as I find out more I^LL let you all know. He was a ITD , CMAS**, and PADI MSDT. And had a fair few dives under his belt. I`ll miss him.

Michael

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Condolences to all family and friends, this really is becoming a very bad year, please ALL, be extra carefull in the coming weeks as we enter a new season.

Matt

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Peter had been a VERY good friend of mine for years. He influenced me on a personal level and as a diver: I learned so much from him. Michael (Scuba1) and I both are shocked and shattered to learn of his death.

The circumstances surrounding the death are unclear.

The known details are:

Depth: 50m
Temp: 3C
Vis:2-4m

Peter was with 3 other divers. I am not clear as to whether they were instructors or Deep Dive Instructor candidates. According to one of the instructors, one signalled that he was unwell and wished to ascend. During the ascent, Peter ostensibly swam away and disappeared. They were subsequently unable to find him.

A day later, one of the divers in that group returned to the lake and found Peter in 70m. Why the diver entered the water without a police diver and why he was able to suddenly find him in 70m in almost 0 vis is unexplained.

Peter's inflator hoses were not attached. He had 140 bar in his tanks (twin 10's and  a 10 stage as well, all containing air, no nitrox or anything else). There was not a drop of water in his mask. The autopsy revealed nothing, no physical anomalies that could have caused the death. According to the autopsy report, cause of death was drowning.

There are many unexplained questions here. Peter was a cautious and conservative diver, would never leave a group, and would certainly not ascend in free water if he had a point of reference to go by.

Peter's family, our mutual friends and myself are in deep mourning.

moray

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

My condolences to all of Peter's friends and family.

These is little that we can say and do at a time like this except to try and appreciate the important things in life.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I'm so sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you and his family.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

my condolences to all his family and friends.

jules

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>sorry to hear the sad news about peter ott,although i never had the pleasure of meeting him i am saddened by the death of another diver and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

rest in peace.
barrie

·
Stability - in an ever spinning world
1,080 Posts
Imported post

with deep sadness i can only offer my condolences to all the family and friends my wishes go out to you all.
john routley

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

So sorry to hear your news Michael...

Condolences to yourself and all who knew Peter.

Scubachick

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

Just read this and as with everyone, I am deeply saddened by yet another loss.

My condolences to his family and friends...

Be careful out there....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts