YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I've just been looking on the Kent diving web site and have seen this...

Package
Faber 12.2Ltr Dumpy Cylinder
Scubapro Mk16 R380 Regulator
Scubapro R380 Octopus
Double Combo
Scubapro Glide 500 BCD

£524

What do any of you guys think?!?! xx

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

Sounds good, but shop around. Dumpy cylinders are fine if you are short, my over 'alf used one , she is 5ft 8, and was unable to rest it on the tubes of the RIB whilst kitting up.

As for good advice, ask other divers and try and use it before you buy it. See if they have a pool session you can go to and jump in.  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Have a shufty down at WHsmith and check the adverts in the dive mags, most big shops do package deals, as Chris said it pays to shop around with Dive kit

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I would agree with Chris on dumpys.  Try one out before you commit.  I hate using them because a)you can't rest them on anything to kit up and b) I can't get my trim right with them...they sit too high.  But that's me and the opposite may be true if you are shorter.

If you break it down then the price looks good, but you may well find that some shops will give you just as good a deal on the kit that you *want* - not just what they want to sell you, so unless the above is exactly what you would buy anyway then try your luck!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Thankyou!!! xx

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kate,

I've also just been buying up some kit over the last few months, and I suppose the only thing I would advise is ask here before buying anything and Please don't rush into it as I did with some purchases, you could save yourself quite a bit of cash and hassle.  

GOD Dam that creditcard it's winking at me again!!!!!

Stay safe

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

HI Kate,

I use 12L dumpies and I prefer them to the "skinnies". As a shorty (5ft8) myself, I find they make it easier in the water, they don't stick their boot into your backside.

Anyway, 5ft8 is normal not short you lanky lot!

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Kate - are you planning to dive in the UK? If so, then the Scubapro regs you mention may not be the best choice, especially in winter. Others on here swear by Scubapro though (I had the R380 for a short time till it freeflowed at 30m) - I use Apeks regs which are solid as anything but are quite large and not the cheapest in the world.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I'm a big fan of second hand gear, there is so much around.  Try these sites.

www.ukdiving.co.uk go to the classifieds.
www.e-diver.co.uk as above.
www.onlinescuba.co.uk and go to the online shop. htye have a good 2nd hand bit.

as with all gear, make sure it has been serviced, looked after and is generally ok.  dont just buy the cheapest.  get saomeone who knows to check it out.

you could save a load of money.

andy

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

sounds like a good deal, but if i was you i would consider upgrading the first stage to a MK25, it is a better first stage, but apart from that it sounds good.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Cheers everyone!!!! xx

Heads Up: I do plan to do some diving in the UK, the only thing that worries me a little is 1) Me and cold - not a good combination!!!! 2) Dry suits - I'm claustrophobic, I had to do my open water dives in wet suits!!! (Brrrr!!!!)

Ideally, I'd like to do a few UK dives thoughout the year, but to go away every so ofter on long weekends or diving holidays would be spot on!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts