YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I should think the'y watched it have a good feed beforehand. I thought the advert for scuba health and safety training to the left of the screen was rather ironic!:)

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
What concerned me a tad was that the guy carried a speargun on the dive. Now if it had all gone tits up and the shark had attacked would he have used it on the shark. Bearing in mind that they could be accused of mithering the shark would it be morally wrong to shoot it?

·
Playing on the net instead of working.
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What concerned me a tad was that the guy carried a speargun on the dive. Now if it had all gone tits up and the shark had attacked would he have used it on the shark. Bearing in mind that they could be accused of mithering the shark would it be morally wrong to shoot it?
Anybody that knows anything about spearfishing would have noticed that it wasn't loaded.

Loading a speargun whilst being attacked by a shark would probably be a bit tricky.

Don't get me started on the whole taking fish and spearfishing is wrong debate again.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hear Hear...

Would all be the sharks fault, not his of course.. hmmmmm

B x

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hear Hear...

Would all be the sharks fault, not his of course.. hmmmmm

B x
Heres one to get your teeth into. Parden the pun!

A man in an alien enviroment (the sea) catching fish to eat. Frowned upon.

A shark in an alien enviroment (the land) breaching and taking seals off a beach to eat. Nature and cute.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Now come on Buster!
Surely you are not trying to say that the diver was their fishing for a shark? I dont have a problem people catching food but I do have a problem that he has gone into the sharks terroritory, pestered the beast but didnt have the balls to go there unarmed incase the shark wanted to pester him.

I wish divers stuck to look but dont touch philosophy.

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adult debate
No name calling allowed!
*​
The spearfisherman has studied the behaviour of the animal over a period of time. Days, weeks, months, years. He then spent a similar amount of time capturing this fantastic footage. Is interacting with the animal wrong? Maybe. But is it any different from man interacting with a dog, cat, gerbil etc....? (if the shark wasn't happy, it wouldn't be there) A true conservationist and a man that understands his enviroment.
*​
Lets take a look at (some) UK divers. Loads of kit. Loads of noise, pollution, bubbles etc.... crashing into the seabed as a result of bad buoyancy, kicking up the silt disturbing and killing sea life with rougue fin kicks and grabbing at pieces of wreckage knocking them to the floor in an effort to remain the right way up. Upon returning from their dive they proceed to ask lots of questions like; "what was that little orange thing we saw?"
Ironic that these same divers have been known to point and frown when a speargun is mentioned. Quick at speaking, slow at listening.
The unloaded speargun? A film prop perhaps.
Disclaimer: These comments are not aimed at anyone in particular. Got to say that because some people might get defensive! :wink:

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Now come on Buster!
Surely you are not trying to say that the diver was their fishing for a shark? .
Of course not.

It was a defensive pre-emtive strike because I'm expecting a tidal wave of anger from people that don't agree with spearfishing or catching fish to eat.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
I've seen similar footage before. He has a lot more bottle that I have.

The spear gun is there to prod into the shark should he become "interested". You don't need to kill them, just give 'em a couple of sharp taps and they tend to leave you alone.

It is one of the great myths, sharks are not necessarily violent, just curious or hungry. Got to say though, free diving, with a very big shark, in a black wet suit.

Andrew

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Probably but if I was on the spot, morals would be the last thing on my mind and if we're talking something like that, I'd be wanting a big powerhead, loaded with buckshot, never mind a fiddly little speargun.

Not that I'd be in the water with something like that in the first place mind you; although I may already have been, just without knowing it.

G

·
What a lucky bugger!! I would love to have been in his fins :teeth:

And if as you say the speargun wasn't loaded then I have no probs with the Guy using it to prod the Shark should it get to curious.

Corinne

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Looks like the Mike Rutzen film that accompanied his shark talk at the dive show.
There's no way to pacify the sharks apart from close interaction with them and a thorough knowledge of their behaviour. It took Mike a few years of close up study from the safety of the boat before he was able to dive with them.
Great film though.

·
Blue Peter Diver
616 Posts
A-fookin-mazin

I would love to do something like that - however not brave enough, although I am looking to do a cage dive in the not too distant future. Agree he is very brave wearing a black suit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts