1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Greetings All,
             Just a quick note to introduce myself..
I am a South Island diver (Still A bunny Diver, Less than 50 logged Dives)from New Zealand. Started for the first time last season.( There went my wallet and my week-ends):pity_party:and have never looked back..I must say I am enjoying your site and almost wish I was over there to join in on some off the fun..But as my Dive season is just starting.2 dives so far and one of them a lake dive.
I get the feeling my fun is just starting.
I look forward to seeing what everyone is up to

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard to our newest and furthest flung member!! You'll find a great reange of experience and talent on board so please feel free to ask whatever you want. Any questions regarding the board, please feel free to ask any of the moderators or administrators.

Regards

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Got to Admit thou, Guess Im a 2 pound pom..
Emigrated from "Wigan" when I was about 3 weeks old..
So far flung I may be..But still connected by the Umbilical cord..lol
Any idea how I can load my Avatar, Ive found the page with the gifs, anything special I have to do after Ive selected it, to load it
cheers

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

No automatic way to upload (due to the chance of unsavory images being posted) - email it to me and I'll upload it to the avatar directory. To change your avatar go to your PROFILE and select it from the list at the bottom. Remember, all avatars are shrunk to 64x64 pixels so not all images are suitable.

Regards

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Gunna Mate,

Welcome to the troop and a Wigan lad to boot! Albeit removed via the South Island. Looking forward to your postings on the dive sites and experiences of NZ as a whole. You can be one of our special 'Foreign Correspondents'. Just guess we'll have to add the South Island to St Abbs, Trearddur Bay and Oban!!

Take it easy mate, dive safe and welcome aboard.

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 12:13 am on Oct. 15, 2002)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

We must be twins - Pie eaters ( Wigginers ) and marsupials.

welcome aboard.

When are you sorting out our expedition down down down south  ?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Hi ya Billy..
            Not to sure I want to chat with a digger at the moment ( 2 Bad losses in the rugby league):shocked:
But seriously. I am off to your neck off the woods at christmas, ( If that is Brisbane ) to go diving off Tin Can Bay to a place called Wolf Rock where I hear the diving is astronimical..Super clear Vis.  3mm wet suits ( Oh to dive warm)and lots off other good stuff a diver needs to see..
So if your around join the party..
or if you wish to dive my area jump one of the cheap flights at the mo. We can always find a spare berth on the boat for any incoming Divers ( That is open to the general populace )..And normally accomodation as well. The general price tag is "Duty free" grog on the way thru...
I lived in Aussie for 6 years. So got a taste for Beer,BBqs and Blondes..
If your interested drop me an E-mail
Steve

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Gunna Do - congratulations!!!!

You are number 155 - yippee!

If it is any consolation, I'm doing the opposite to you, I regularily invade the diveoz forum and am (hopefully, once I find the £1,000 for the Aussie Gov't) emigrating to Oz!

:dance: Oh yeah baby! Sun and fun.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Stevey boy!!

I hope you like to write me ol'mate.. please feel free to knock up some long and interesting dive reports, we poor cold arsed Brits like nothing more than to listen about exotic site dotted around the world (Although it appears the waters kinda cold where you are) Drysuit diver??

Anyway mate, glad to have you on board
Best regards
Dave.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Hi there gunna.  Great to have someone on from far away.  keep us in touch and jealous with that diving round there.  i'm told its exceptional!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

Why thank you all for the Warm and hearty welcome..
I guess I could wack up something about last weekends dive at Lake Clearwater.
But I would have to get the photos developed ( Bought one of those cheap disposibles underwater Cameras )..
Our Vis may be Sh**, and the water freezing. But I reckon we have some of the best scenery in the world..
If any of you have seen Lord of the Rings. Well Im just a couple of hours from where you see all that Magnificent Scenery and those snow capped mountains, nestling some of those lakes.
In is in the region I went diving and if things turned out allright. I should have an awesome pic of the grandaddy of all trout ( And that is allowing for Magnification).
Mind you went back fishing 2 nights after :hai: but he was to cagey for me..
So if you guys/Gals dont mind a few scenery/ diving/ fishing shots Im quite happy to post a few..
And as Spring is just starting for me and the dive season is under way and knowing its winter over there or coming up and diving will be taking a slight siesta ( Except for those Hard core, Hairy Butted Brits who dont let the cold bother them ) :lol:
I feel it would be my duty to help keep a few of you from getting Withdrawal symptoms..
Dave in reply to you question. No I am not a drysuit diver.
The cost of gear over here is Prohibitive that unless your a 100% hooked you arent going to go out and spend that type of coin to start out. I dive with a 7mm sherwood xceed. 2 piece and sometimes long johns and thermal socks ( I am still developing my Hairy Butt) and when you consider it was 2 degree water temp in the lake ( At the surface), this was a very brave dive.T
he average water temp last year( open water) was about 12 degrees so i certainly dont class my diving area as exotic.
Driftwood... Mate I lived in  Aussie for 7 years right up in Qld. Only regret was I never took up diving then.( To busy Windsurfing and drinking). If you get the chance take off. It is outstanding over there..
Dont forget to get your ass over here for a bit of south island diving.. Nothing like catching your own cray for dinner
Regards all
Steve ( Gunna Do )

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Steve

Theres alway's heaps of second hand gear (drysuits) going for sale over here, you can pick one up for about £100-£150

Now I don't know if you would have to pay some sort of import duty on a second hand suit sent over by one of your new found friends in the UK but I'd enquire about it and if not I'd be willing to try and track down a suitable one and get it in the post if that helps at all mate.

Go to the classifieds on this site and you'll see the type of stuff I mean, I'm sure postage can't be TOO expensive.

http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/ukdiving.htm

Dave

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

Dave.
    Many thanxs for the offer,( Hmm my old friends have cost me over 3000 dollars and my new friends seem set on bending my wallet as well........:lol:  ).. )
But I have just purchased my wet suit last season and it has a bit more work to do yet...
Also I hunt for crayfish and I would be concerned with the conditions I dive in ( ie volcanic rock and reefs )
That a drysuit would hold up to the battering my neo takes..
But however if you come across someone in your travels, with a decent set of regs at a resonable price..
Then id luv to hear about it. Exspecially if they were boxed in a nice pressie type fashion..And a luvelly "Miss you" card..With a note that said.. you left these behind, last time you were in the UK.
otherwise the good old goverment will charge G.S.T ( your vat) and then 7% on top off that, darn goverment :banghead:
Still they have to cover the free medical we have..
I mean all these divers stretching there gear to the max, because they cant afford to upgrade.
which incidently is how I found this forum . I was surfing for dive gear for myself and my mates
Lucky huh..lol
Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Kia Ora to the founder member, Aotearoa branch :menani:

Say brother from whereabouts do you hail; I was down in your neck of the woods last year staying with my mate Bob from Oxford (Rangiora way if that's not local to you)

Well diving in 2 degree water you must be truly hairy arsed, I tell you anything less than 27 and I'm hanging around outside the caravan that does bacon butties muttering 'weather's a bit marginal...'!

Well I've always fancied the Poor Knights so next time I get out your way I'll be sure to give you a yell and then over a CB or 2 you can explain to me the origin of the saying 'drink Speights and lose your mates'. :boozer:

Paul

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

Hi ya Paul and Maltese,
                      Yeah Paul this is my stomping grounds.Ive had qt a few ales in the oxford hotel.
My sister lives in Ohoka, which is up the road from Rangiora.
I live 1/2 way between Rollerston and West Melton on a nice country lifestyle block..
Always wondered why I havent that many mates, but being a confirmed Speights drinker ( That might explain why...lol)
I actually Dive ( Most of the time )at a place called Mutonhoue which is about an hour further towards Kaikora.
So next time your in the area, well have a few speights then go for a dive..I like the thought of you beeing trapped in your own enclosed enviroment ( Dry suit )  lol
You might be venting your air a bit  :lol:
well off to a days work ( Just had a 4 day weekend )
Steve

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome, nice to have you with us.  Look forward to reading your posts!  Dive safely.  :froggy:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

Hi ya Everyone,
              While I have been off work with the old Bot
( Flu ), For my wayward Empire Cousins..
I have tried to develop a web page..Just to show off the land of the old Colonials and practice at getting you all green-eyed that I am in My dive season...:lol:
However... I am very computer illeterate ( and prob English Illeterate as well ) even thou I can say Pieeee and Wigan Rugby League and prob " Pint of Tettleys Mate)..
So if any of those people out there that are comp Literate and wouldnt mind helping out a new Bunny..ie Getting photos to thumbnail size.. Then I am quite happy to take photos of some of my diving and fishing over here and post them on my very young web site...( if you hit my Profile and web page, then you will see why I need help). I have made a start on the fishing side and the diving photos are in the shop

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Imported post

Kia-Ora All,
          ( Just a quick explanation, The above is a native Hello)...
Any way back to the subject, i need a Computer orientated person who has a slight idea about homepages.( Because I am very Comp Illeterate( and prob cant spell either))...
Hmm a thought for the moderaters " Spell Check " anyway back to my thought I have a major prob setting my pics into thumbnail formatt and then you do the clickey thing and they enlarge..So as David Bowie would say " Is anybody out there"....
I have madw a start and got a few pages online ( Just hit prof and homepage) any ideas gratefully accepted
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

No problems - send them my way and I'll sort them out for you. Send them one at a time please so not to clog my email account with large files. Will be away from this Sunday to next Thursday so don't worry if you don't get anything back from me till back end of next week.

Regards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts