YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Guys

Has anybody else been watching Killer Squids Attack on channel 5? What a fantastic programme, i will never contemplate putting a red filter on my torch after that, what a maniac cameraman, what fantastic footage of squids attacking a diver. He must be raving mad.

The rest of the programme was pretty good as well. Cuttlefish have always been one of my favourates to watch, but i will be paying even more attention to them now.

Top Programme,

Beware, there's squids waiting for you out there.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

white light all the way for me too.

how channel 5 though, great program on squid and what do they call it but KILLER SQUIDS ATTACK now I know I wouldn't have wanted to be in the place of that camera man but.......

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Mary

The title put me off as well, only by chance i saw it. Wish i'd taped it now.

Paul

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Didn't see it but were they the Humboldt squid in the sea of Cortez by any chance? If so they are damned frightening...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

also know as giant squid?

and sea of cortez..... the bit where USA sticks down and mexico is to the east of it with about 140km of sea in the way? (yes I know my geography sucks!)

if so then yes those were the ones and evil sods they looked too (but totally fascinating).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hey... what's the story here? Squids attacking diver due to red light? Huh?

K

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Kyrre

They thought that as red light is the first colour to be filtered out that by using rebreathers to remove bubbles and red light instead of white they would blend in more, and be invisible / less intrusive.

The first squid swam by no probs, the others then attacked. They were on the camera, the lights and the divers face. Fantastic footage.

The cameraman is a coplete nutter or very, very slow. He had a squid in his face trying to rip his mask off and was totally cool:blues:

I'd say Hollywood would have been pressed to produce better, ok Alien did it, but this was for real man.

Watch out theirs killer squids about.

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

The bit that got me was he was on a CS Lunar rebreather and if the squid had ripped the mouthpiece out he would be dead. I didn’t see any bail out bottles :0

Great footage, I loved the strobing effect of the colour change.

I have to say that the sea of Cortez has just dropped below Wraysbury in my favourite places to go for a night dive

The Titanic 90 years on Sky was a good show too. My dyslexia kicked in and I turned over to watch Marine Survival thinking it was a program on diving safety and it turned out to be a bunch of army types living off witichy grubs and cactus juse

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, it was OK. But the program about the M1 sub on the other side was much more interesting. I kept waiting for Ron Young to put in an appearance.

Peter

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Any sick squid unclaimed I want it - I'm saving up for a RB.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

Who saw Pitch Black?  I reckon the director based the evil beasties on killer squid. Lotsa tentacles, nasty beaks, and the one at the end that kills the pilot definately has a squids tail fin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts