YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I'm new to dry suit diving, well I've done a few but I'm still learning some of the finer points and i wondered if you wouldn't mind giving me some pointers..

I've made a few adjustments to my kit recently and coupled with a dry suit it's taking some getting used to...

Normally, I dive a single 15 faber steel (22kg full, 18 kg empty, if I remember well) with my wing...I have added a 3l pony (luxfer ali) and dry suit. My wing has excessive lift for a single, 65/70lbs lift (zeagle).

I've moved my inflator hose from under my velcro shoulder strap as it was causing a U and needed me to twist on to my right side to fully dump air. I now have it clipped to a retracting chord off my left 45deg d-ring..same d ring my pony neck clips off on....I have no problems with roll as I have my torch and battery on the right to counter...even if I didn't the pony is pretty much neutral so that's not an issue.

The retracing chord is a new idea for the dump hose...previously I had it clipped off to my console with compass. I've now added a 2 hose cover and it's with my dry suit inflator.

I tried 0.5kg ankle weights on the last dive which did help a great deal...but I've got 1kg weights to try tomorrow....

My concerns/questions are:

1. Dry suit for buoyancy control..the usual issue...air in feet....ankle weights will help.....does anyone manage without. Heavy rubber fins..Biofin or scubapro...anyone know the weights of each? (and websites to view).

2. Console and dry suit inflator hose together...the console needs pulling through to read...it hangs down and I'm not one for dangly bits...it's easy to find by feel but...suggestions???

3. Retracting chord for dump hose....I've tried it on dry land and it will solve my problem mentioned above, getting rid of the U but it's creating huge loops (not in the chord but the hose to d ring attachment has left the hose free from my shoulder...would this be an issue as it's always drawn in to my shoulder left D ring...potentially yes but...) in my gear for potential entanglement problems...solve one prob and create another....hints and pointers welcome..

4. Does anyone have any experience with a smaller zeagle wing for single tank dives...I don't really care about tank wrap, it's not a fashion parade but I'm sure reducing the wing capacity for single dives would help...again pointers welcome...I just use the one wing for singles and twins...maybe I should have one for one and one for the other...

OK...now...that's honesty...I have some problems and I'm prepared to talk about them....

Thanks all.

Graham

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Feb. 28 2004,17:36)]I've moved my inflator hose from under my velcro shoulder strap as it was causing a U and needed me to twist on to my right side to fully dump air. I now have it clipped to a retracting chord off my left 45deg d-ring..same d ring my pony neck clips off on....I have no problems with roll as I have my torch and battery on the right to counter...even if I didn't the pony is pretty much neutral so that's not an issue.

The retracing chord is a new idea for the dump hose...previously I had it clipped off to my console with compass. I've now added a 2 hose cover and it's with my dry suit inflator.

My concerns/questions are:

1. Dry suit for buoyancy control..the usual issue...air in feet....ankle weights will help.....does anyone manage without. Heavy rubber fins..Biofin or scubapro...anyone know the weights of each? (and websites to view).

2. Console and dry suit inflator hose together...the console needs pulling through to read...it hangs down and I'm not one for dangly bits...it's easy to find by feel but...suggestions???

3. Retracting chord for dump hose....I've tried it on dry land and it will solve my problem mentioned above, getting rid of the U but it's creating huge loops (not in the chord but the hose to d ring attachment has left the hose free from my shoulder...would this be an issue as it's always drawn in to my shoulder left D ring...potentially yes but...) in my gear for potential entanglement problems...solve one prob and create another....hints and pointers welcome..

4. Does anyone have any experience with a smaller zeagle wing for single tank dives...I don't really care about tank wrap, it's not a fashion parade but I'm sure reducing the wing capacity for single dives would help...again pointers welcome...I just use the one wing for singles and twins...maybe I should have one for one and one for the other...

OK...now...that's honesty...I have some problems and I'm prepared to talk about them....

Thanks all.

Graham

Does your wing have a pull dump on the shoulder? I f so maybe try switching to this as your primary dump and leaving the inflate mechanism in the position you mentioned, near the drysuit inflator. All together, very easy to use one handed.

Most divers that I see are managing without leg irons, I do myself. There is an argument that says you should learn to use the suit correctly instead of correcting symptoms, see to the cause. A lot of the time divers can over-inflate their suit, leading to massive air migration. If you're properly weighted and neutral with a squirt of air in, even if inverted you wont be ascending.
I dont mean this to sound pompous  

Try just removing the squeeze from the suit and using your wing, it may help.

Try it routed from the other side, clipped off to a low (hip?) D ring.

See Q1.

Yes mate, its also the best way of solve your problems, acknowledge them and invite input from other divers who have had the same probs and solved them.
Good on yah and good luck.

Stu.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Stu,

Thanks for the help....

Using a dry suit properly...that's what made me hesitate in posting...I'll have the piss ripped...but air in the boots is inevitable...If you're going to seek the benefits of a dry you stick some air in, at least to stop squeeze if not for buoyancy...some of that air goes to your feet...

OK...I'd be happy to arse around and do a flip or do a vertical to move the air but when your 30 cm off major silt up is that really wise..that's what I've been doing and trying to get rid of...ankle weights have to be the answer....or heavy fins...

Graham

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

I use a small zeagle wing(as I am a small person) with my twin 7's and with a single. I also use a drysuit and learned to dive in one. I was always taught, and now teach myself....always use the suit for bouyancy underwater and the bcd on the surface....this is also safer ,as if there is a problem and you need to dump air quickly you need only worry about one source...and it is easier to dump from a suit.. I moaned like hell at the time..as it took ages to get used to it and I felt like a large rubber whale, and I got air in my feet and surfaced upside down  etc....but now I just use my suit, with ankle weights...it is more comfortable with ankle weights.. but you will get used to it ..persevere...good luck

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Yea,

Loads of controvacy, that's good to get the blood going. I'm into suits for buoyancy too, jackets for the surface, otherwise you won't get the good of it when you get out of the water, my gran used to say that, but strangely, never dived?

James  

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hmmmm

A note about ankle weights, most people get rid of them in the end, but, I like a lot of people started with them. I can't see what the harm is, why do so many seem to hate them. They serve a purpose, they can help.

So I say use them, you will probably ditch them in the end.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]air in the boots is inevitable...If you're going to seek the benefits of a dry you stick some air in, at least to stop squeeze if not for buoyancy...some of that air goes to your feet...
You seem to be worrying about a problem that doesn't actually exist.. the idea isn't to keep air out of the feet - that'll just give you cold feet

Just because there's air in the boots doesn't mean an inevitable feet-first ascent - it's excessive air that's the problem. So long as you're not blowing your suit up Michelin-man style, the fact that air is in your feet really shouldn't matter.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

It took me about half a season to be comfortable in my drysuit, ie to be able to forget about it on the dive. But it's not the same as diving in a wetsuit - there's a very different 'feel' underwater. My feet are in a higher position then when I dive wet. It's not right, not wrong. Just different.

Re: Ankle weights, I dived with them for a few months, then discovered I didn't need them. I suspect many people do this and there's nothing wrong with going down this road again.

I would try them for a bit, it might work for you or it might not, and you can always change your mind later.

Laters,
   Janos

Laters,
   Janos

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I remember my first dive in a dry suit too - very different to the 7mm semi I had been previously using and I felt a lot more aware of what I was doing in the water. I now use a pair of ankle weights with it as I have a heavy head
and overall I found buoyancy much easier to control when diving dry than wet. Although I can switch between the two types of diving pretty easily.

An alternative to ankle weights would be a pair of leg gaiters similar to those worn by the DIR boys. Andy (wetlettuce) should be able to fill you in on those.

HTH,

Noel

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Imported post

When I bought my drysuit I also used ankle weights to avoid the "floaty feet" feeling.  However I found that I was more susceptible to cramp (3 out of 4 dives) - working my calf muscles harder to move that extra weight with every kick, I suppose.  So I left the ankle weights at home, and I'm less likely to have cramp.  As Janos said, diving a dry suit feels different with the feet higher, but you get used to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts