YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Just received an interesting email....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]On the first models the KISS valve stopped working as designed at about 70m. On the current crop the limit is about 110m and this is easily extended with a slight change. From what I&#8217;m told 140m is the deepest a KISS has been dived so far.
Anyone know of the truth etc? Also seen a mod to plug in a VR3 and dive it to silly depths.....

Chasey, this'll be one for you no doubt.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yes the KISS works on a constant flow sonic valve. The diameter of the valve is 0.07mm I think. This works on a fixed interstage pressure first stage. The gas supplied becomes more dense as you descend this restricts the flow through the orifice. Fortunately this bit of physics allows for the increased PP02 at depth and reduces the flow to the counter lungs. Unfortunately at 70m the ambient water pressure prevents the automatic or manual addition of 02. So 60m is the advised limit on the standard unit.

However some divers are using a balanced 1t stage to overcome this problem. Other divers are using the new 0.033 dia valve, which allows the unit to function until 110m recommended 100m The balanced first stage idea apparently works but no one knows why??? Which is a bit of a worry.

That’ll do me nicely as I don’t intend to venture beyond 100m. The Lucitiaina is my Mount Everest dive and that is 93m max I think

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

I saw a program about Tanya Streeter this summer who was supported by some CC divers on a free dive in New Zealand. They went down to a depth of 124 m I think on a wreck dive whilst they were in NZ. I presume they weren't diving with a KISS then? Any one remember seeing this?

Dave C

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ Oct. 30 2003,17:12)]I saw a program about Tanya Streeter this summer who was supported by some CC divers on a free dive in New Zealand. They went down to a depth of 124 m I think on a wreck dive whilst they were in NZ. I presume they weren't diving with a KISS then? Any one remember seeing this?

Dave C
I too saw that program, the support divers used Insperation's.

Simon A

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Well, nearly. They used Twinspirations. If you look at the gear, they've got two breathing loops coming round their neck (from what I can remember). Obviously it's a bit of a pain to bail out onto OC from 124.

Hope this helps, but I'm being pedantic.

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

Mark,

have ya got it yet... have ya... have ya??

<grins> drop me a line when you do, the assembly is fun ;)

To answer some of the earlier stuff...

I ran the old orifice at around 9bar, giving me 80m max. The new one is running around 12 bar (110m).

As for the "using a normal first stage", Im going to test this soon, but the other chaps are inferring that it was a no go, maybe if you run it at a very low ISP......

Deeper mods you no doubt know of;

1. hammer head (electronics/solenoid in addition to kiss)
2. Another electronic controller....(not yet public)
3. additional manual add fed directly from a normal first stage via a modified inflator
4. Rick stantons method using a cross feed from a second balanced O2 feed.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

No I havent got it yet. Still waiting for the try dive to make the choice between the KISS and the YBOD. 2 dives on the YBOD but none on the KISS yet.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Oct. 30 2003,14:42)]That’ll do me nicely as I don’t intend to venture beyond 100m. The Lucitiaina is my Mount Everest dive and that is 93m max I think

ATB

Mark Chase
did you really say that!
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Presumably there's nothing to stop you having a normal 1st stage as well as the non-compensated one, on an H or Y valve, so you can use the KISS valve whilst shallow enough and manual when you're too deep?

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

its all just plumbing mate.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts