YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the dive last night I did a buoyancy check on my kit.
Using a fishing weighing scale with a length of rope attached I stood on the side while my buddy deflated the wing and let my kit sink with the rope attached.
I recorded a negative buoyancy of 12kg.
The kit comprised twin 12'vs manifolded containing 50 bar of 32%, 6mm Agir backplate, Salvo 10W HID, two Scout back up torches, DIR zone wing and Apeks DS4's with regs.
No 'P' or 'V' weights.
I dive without a weight belt or any other weights.
With this rig I am quite negative during the dive and have breathed the cylinders down to 20 bar in the past to check buoyancy.
I can hold stops at any depth and last night at the end of the dive the three of us held a 2m stop for a good minute or so.

My next check will be to do a drysuit buoyancy check without any kit on, using a donated reg and see how much weight I need to sink.
(I've estimated 6kg should get me negative) based on using my Otter Brtannic drysuit and Arctic Commercial 200 undersuit.

This post is not intended to advise divers how to weight themselves, but just to pass on some information for comparison.

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
I'd be interested to see how much you need to sink in your drysuit - make sure you let us know :)

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
id be interested to see how much weight you could ditch if you had to , i was heading for a similar rig , but had a bit of a rethink , to be able to keep a few killos ditchable.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Very interesting.
The only problem i have found with a fully intergrated setup and drysuit was when i got my pillar Vv caught in some rope and had to de-kit at 30M not a good idia I found my self a tad bouyant momentarely:D. so now i have a few Kg in the drysuit pockets.(made to measure) :D

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Reactions: James-S

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be interested to see how much you need to sink in your drysuit - make sure you let us know :)
It'll be after I get back from Scapa in a couple of weeks, but as soon as I've got some info I'll post the results. :)

·
Getting back in the water!
496 Posts
I had a similar setup until recently; twin-12L fabers, agir 6mm s/steel BP, Agir Niord44 wing, Halcyon Explorer 9/21w, 2x scout back-up lights, DS4 back gas regs, Britannic drysuit and 200g undersuit and used no additional weight at all in fresh and added just a kilo for the sea (always a little negative in fresh).

I recently changed my drysuit to a Santi Enduro, which is about the same as a Britannic weight wise, and a Santi 400g Undersuit. In fresh water I have done an extensive weight check and had to add a kilo v-weight to be able to descend and hold a nice comfortable neutral stop at 3m with <30bar gas. 1kg more and I descended like a brick, 1kg less and I couldn't descent at all.

For the sea I now add a further 3kg in the form of another 1kg v-weight and a 2kg tail weight and this seems to be nice and comfortable.

It's worth adding that I now run my suit quite tight with the 400g, the whole purpose of getting the 400g was because running my suit tight with my old 200g was getting quite cold!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts